Back packs

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
survivalists Dad

Back packs

Post by survivalists Dad »

I am going to buy a backpack in the next few days.
I am looking for one that We can keep all of the important papers , stocks , and money in.
Would normally be kept in a safe but available in case of an earthquake or fire.
We will be returning home soon and I want to get this done asap.

Would appreciate any info anyone has.

survivalists Dad
Kommander

Re: Back packs

Post by Kommander »

Erm...can you be more specific. There are allot of different types of packs out there.
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

SD, that's like asking what's the best knife or pistol...

Packs will range from 250 cu. in. book packs to 5,000+ cu. in. expedition packs...some have external pack frames (ala 1970s), some internal frames (rucksacks) or no frame at all...

There has to be at least 100 makers out there and probably more if you include the specialty makers for mountaineering, X-Country skiing, hunting...

Your needs just might be best served with a waist (or also called a fanny) pack...
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Go to your local sporting goods outlets and try some on , then research reliability on net , good luck. Shouldn't take more than a day or two, styles are highly variable, ask lots of questions , and don't believe any of the answers ( to consider the possibilities) , find what works for you.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
FastRope71

Post by FastRope71 »

If your local sports shop doesn't have a very good selection, just come to my house. :lol:

My wife and I frequently joke about my inability to pass up a deal on backpacks, flashlights, knives, and (a single incident on ebay) alarm clocks.
If you are unwilling to give another man freedom in his life, do not expect to have it in your own.
It surely beats trying to figure out what the metrosexuals want ( a good hard kick in the nuts in my opinion, but that won't sell ice cream :D )- Highspeed
Erik

Post by Erik »

When I read this, the first thing that popped up in my head was the description here at "listening to Katrina". He has a pretty good run down on what you need to have when leaving your home for something like that, all based on experience.

I'd go with a small watertight bag, put all your documents in it, and then put it in any suitable backpag or bag where you also have your other stuff.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Ben Rumson

Post by Ben Rumson »

I've got a Kelty from the late '70s. Its Kelty blue with a tent pole gray frame.

According to the adverts from my yute, I can go Mt Everest with it. Everybody out of my way!
survivalists Dad

Post by survivalists Dad »

Thanks for the good info.
The listening to Katrina page is first rate.

survivalists Dad
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!