Vortex StrikeFire Red Dot *2nd Update*

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Darrell

Vortex StrikeFire Red Dot *2nd Update*

Post by Darrell »

I received notice from SWFA a couple of days ago that the Vortex StrikeFire red dot sights have finally shipped, I should be seeing mine next week. I preordered one about six months ago, and have been eager to get it. It's an Aimpoint clone, 30mm tube, 4 moa red/green dot, and comes with an optical doubler for 2x capability. It cost about $130 plus shipping at SWFA. Here's a thread on it over at ak47dotnet:

http://www.ak47.net/lite/topic.html?b=2&f=277&t=159580

And here's Vortex's page on the sight:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/riflescopes ... ar15-mount

The sight comes with one of two mounts, the link above shows the higher AR mount. Mad Ogre raves about Vortex scopes, does anybody on this forum have any experience with their other scopes?

I'll be sure to post a report once I get it.
Last edited by Darrell on Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
rightisright

Re: Vortex StrikeFire Red Dot Shipped!

Post by rightisright »

Looks cool. I like that it comes with a doubler.

If it works as advertised, it should sell well. The market could use a red-dot that bridges the price/quality gap between the NcStars and the Aimpoints.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Now if it comes with a low ring mount to attach to the rail that makes up the top of my "tactical carry handle", I'll be happy.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

The big brown truck of happiness delivered the StrikeFire this afternoon. It is an Aimpoint clone, quite similar in appearance to the 2x Aimpoint I got from and returned to Midway some months ago. It seems to be a nice piece of work, reading the supplied manual and tinkering with it quickly revealed its workings. I attached it to its supplied ring mount (high mount for ARs, and yes, they have a low mount available too), and put it on my Armalite. I found that one of the six screws supplied to attach the upper half of the 30mm ring stripped while (carefully) hand tightening with the supplied wrench. I may loctite the recalcitrant screw, or see if a longer one will catch good threads. Vortex saw fit to use Torx screws instead of allens, so that may be a bit harder to find. The directions say to mount the sight with at least 4" of eye relief, I found that I needed to attach the mount to the Picatinny rail atop the Armalite's receiver about as far forward as it would go, in order to allow the BUIS (rear) to clear the opening of the snap up lid of the StrikeFire's eyepiece. I could probably jockey the positon of the BUIS and scope mount if necessary, the rear sight is presently mounted to clear the Mueller scope I had on the rifle.

Working at 1x, the view through the scope is nice, wide and clear. The red/green dot is adjustable in brightness, and also has a night vision setting. The supplied high mount supposedly allows cowitness of iron sights in the lower third of the view, but it seemed to me that the irons lined up closer to center, just below the red dot. I'll know more once I try it at the range, just looking at the sight picture the aperture ring of the rear sight seemed quite close to the red dot. This shouldn't be a problem in and of itself, since the rear sight is a flip type, and when down, clears the sight window of the red dot completely.

The doubler supplied with the sight resembles a telescope eyepiece, with a threaded end to screw into the rear aperture of the StrikeFire. The doubler didn't want to thread easily to the sight at first, but I finally got it on after a few tries; I wonder if the threads will hold up over time. A very small amount of an antisieze compound like Loctite C5 might help save the threads. The view through the doubler is a bit disappointing--it reminded me very much of what I didn't like about the Aimpoint I returned to Midway; the sight window at 2x is very small, it reminds me of peering backwards through a telescope. I'll withhold judgment until I try it at the range. It would have been nice if Vortex had thought fit to supply some sort of storage case for it, like what some astronomical eyepieces use (sorta like a 35mm film can, but a bit bigger), or end caps at least to seal it off when not in use.

The first pic is a view of the left side of the sight. The large knob at top is the elevation adjustment. The smaller button to its lower right is the power/red/green selector. The sight claims to have a 2,000 hour battery lifetime, and shuts itself off after an hour to conserve power.

The second pic is a rear view, to the left can be seen the brightness controls and night vision button. The battery cover is visible on the upper right. The red dot looks very big in the pic, but that's an artifact of the macro shot, I think, Vortex calls it 4moa but it isn't objectionably large to the eye. I've found with all the red dot and holo sights I've used that I see a much crisper dot when not looking through my glasses. My eyes are crapping out and getting astigmatic, I fear. I have the same problem when looking at the stars naked eye anymore, instead of a crisp dot I see a sort of twinkle or flare/coma off to the side.

The third pic shows the rear view with the BUIS raised, the effect I mentioned looks worse here than when sighting the gun. This is with the green dot on, btw.

The fourth pic is a side view of the attached doubler.

The fifth pic is a rear view of the attached doubler. It's not a very good pic, the dot looks huge but really isn't, and I should have had something light in color in front of the scope to better show the sight picture. Perhaps you can see the rather small rear lens of the doubler. Hey, for $130 I'll be happy if the sight works at 1x.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
workinwifdakids

Re: Vortex StrikeFire Red Dot *Updated*

Post by workinwifdakids »

So, what would you call this one? Worth it? Or wait and pass a stone paying for an Aimpoint?
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
clyde621

Post by clyde621 »

If you are going to use this at 1X what would be the difference in using a reflex sight? Ops.. I just checked a Docter price and we are looking at over $300. However I think cheaper ones are available. Seriously, what advantage is there with reflex over the tube?
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Worth $130? If it holds up and does its job, yes. Seeing as it's very similar to the Aimpoint at a fraction of the price, yes.

Compared to a reflex/holosight? I have a Kobra for my VEPR, I got spoiled by its open view. I find the view through any tube restrictive by comparison. I also like the finer dot/reticle of the holosights, a 1-1.5moa dot beats a 4moa dot any day.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I took the Armalite and StrikeFire to the indoor range tonight, to get it sighted in and do a shakedown on the sight. It dialed right in at 25 yds, and worked fine. I'll know more once I shoot it outdoors, but I don't see any problems. It hit to point of aim and stayed where I put it. The green dot seemed to work better with my astigmatism/whatever it is, it looked a little crisper than the red dot. I did have to peep over the top of my glasses for a good view of the dot, but I've found the same with my other red dot/holosights. Also, I found that the doubler actually worked rather well. The view was still crisp, if rather small outside diameter.

One thing I think would improve the sight: the elevation and azimuth adjustments are conventional slotted heads under knurled caps. Target style knobs would've been nice, but once it's sighted in I suppose it doesn't matter. Another thing I'd change is the hex head screw that tightens the mount to the rail--a slotted head would be nice, so I could use a screwdriver to tighten it. I guess I'll have to carry a wrench in the range bag... As mentioned above, some sort of storage case for the doubler would've been nice too, I'm sure I can find something to keep it in. Overall, I give the StrikeFire a thumbs up. Time will tell how it holds up.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
clyde621

Re: Vortex StrikeFire Red Dot *2nd Update*

Post by clyde621 »

Dont you just hait it when your eyes go to shit :( I guess that's the price you pay when you get to live a little longer. 8-)
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.
Theodore Roosevelt