Second attmpt at building a holster

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Evyl Robot

Second attmpt at building a holster

Post by Evyl Robot »

I won't go into detail on the gross failure of my first attempt right now, but suffice it to say that my first holster tuned into a rock. I'm pretty proud of my second attempt, though. Here's a link to my blog where I have the so-far pics posted: http://evylrobot19.blogspot.com/2008/08 ... ccess.html
Netpackrat

Re: Second attmpt at building a holster

Post by Netpackrat »

That's a nice looking holster. Let us know when your catalog is available.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Evyl Robot

Post by Evyl Robot »

LOL! Thanks, Netpackrat! There are more experienced sources for pancake holsters much closer to your location than OK, though. http://www.simplyrugged.com/
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Well, the joke is that a lot of the commercial holster makers started out the same way as you, they wanted a better holster and nobody made exactly what they wanted, so they had to learn to make their own. But thanks for the link!

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Evyl Robot

Post by Evyl Robot »

The funny part there is that I've already gotten requests... It was actually a lot of fun, and I'll probably wind up doing some for a few folks!
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

If you come up w. a good moonclip holster, I imagine you'll get several more commissions/requests... Including one from me...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Moon clip holster?

Evyl Robot

Post by Evyl Robot »

Moonclip holster. Yeah... I kind of alluded to that on my blog. My 586 takes clips, so I'm working on a system for reload carry. The prototype seems promising so far. There is no hardware whatsoever, but I use the stiffness of the molded leather for retention. That sounds all nice and dandy, but the pancake holster has been around for how many decades? My moonclip carrier is not so tried and true. I'll post results on that once I've got something to say about it.

On the other hand, I got some good shots of the holster on, but my computer went tits-up, and I can't upload from the camera to my Blackberry. I'll try to get the pics posted tomorrow. Thanks for the responses!

--Michael
Evyl Robot

Post by Evyl Robot »

OK. So I finally got to take some pictures in sunlight. Here are two pics showing that this thing sucks my Smith & Wesson L-Frame in tight enough that it it undetectable even under a light, cotton shirt:

Here's a better pic of the holster itself in use:

And, the money shot:

As I said before, I'm thrilled about how this one came out. Maybe it was beginner's luck, or maybe I have some natural talent for this kind of work. I'm going to have to make some more holsters to find out!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I like the shield that keeps the metal off of your body. My holsters don't do that, and I get a bit of sweat condensation on the metal.

ETA: following a couple of threads here, it suddenly occurs to me why your blogroll links to In Jennifer's Head. :D
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D