Second attmpt at building a holster

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Jennifer

Re: Second attmpt at building a holster

Post by Jennifer »

ETA: following a couple of threads here, it suddenly occurs to me why your blogroll links to In Jennifer's Head. :D
There just might be a connection there :mrgreen:
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Evyl Robot wrote:I'm going to have to make some more holsters to find out!
What did you have in mind? A tuckable IWB with a 15 degree forward cant and a body shield for a Makarov; flat on the back and with wide-ish stabilizer wings on each side; clips of matte black spring metal J-hook and not so long that they show significantly on a 1-1/2" belt?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Evyl Robot

Post by Evyl Robot »

I like the shield that keeps the metal off of your body. My holsters don't do that, and I get a bit of sweat condensation on the metal.
That was actually one of my two major criteria for building my own. I wanted the "mud flap" to put a barrier between my nasty, sweaty back and my pretty, blue gun. I also wanted to lose the thumb-break without losing the security of the gun. It's hard to find a good holster for a gun this size that doesn't have a thumb-break. I feel like I pulled it off pretty well.
What did you have in mind? A tuckable IWB with a 15 degree forward cant and a body shield for a Makarov; flat on the back and with wide-ish stabilizer wings on each side; clips of matte black spring metal J-hook and not so long that they show significantly on a 1-1/2" belt?
LOL! Sounds promising! Let me know how it turns out! :lol: Where are you located, anyway?
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

I was going to ask you about how well it retains the gun. Have you asked Jennifer to try and take it out of the holster from in front, or standing next to you? How well can you secure/re-secure it if someone tries to grab it?

I like the way it protects the gun from your skin contact. Are you treating/sealing the leather next to your body to protect it from leeching salts through the leather (over time)?

What would you charge for a holster of this type?
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Evyl Robot wrote:LOL! Sounds promising! Let me know how it turns out! :lol: Where are you located, anyway?
:(

I thought you were going to make it and ask me to test it for you...

I'm in SW Missouri. You're in OK?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Evyl Robot

Post by Evyl Robot »

I was going to ask you about how well it retains the gun. Have you asked Jennifer to try and take it out of the holster from in front, or standing next to you? How well can you secure/re-secure it if someone tries to grab it?
No I have not. I know that I could run, jump, climb, and hang from my knees without the revolver falling out. The thing is, it wouldn't be any more difficult for an assailant to get past a thumb-break in such a scenario. I will secure it under the garment with my elbo, and remain observant of the world around me. IMHO, I don't think there is any substitute for this practice.
I like the way it protects the gun from your skin contact. Are you treating/sealing the leather next to your body to protect it from leeching salts through the leather (over time)?
Silicone boot spray. It's a good practice to keep this applied to even factory-made leather holsters, I hear.
What would you charge for a holster of this type?
You aren't the first to ask, and it's not a question that I anticipated very well. I'm trying to decide that currently. I would like to do some of these for people without ripping them off, but it has to be worth my time as well. I know that if I had a sewing machine, the labor would be far less intense in the whole affair. But when you are working with 6-7+ oz shoulder, you can't exactly put that through Grandma's Singer, you know? We have some stout machines, but nothing that was designed to handle that.

I'm thinking one like this for size, design, and finish would probably be worth about $100.00 on both sides of the transaction. I would love some feedback on that number, though.
I'm in SW Missouri. You're in OK?
Yup.

--Michael
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Moonclip holster... Cool, I need ones for 646 converted to 10mm and one for a 610. Plus matching holsters for a 5 inch and 3 inch 610, plus the 4 inch L frame....

Thanks! ;)
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.