AR magazines

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Kommander

Re: AR magazines

Post by Kommander »

I have personally used Colt, Bushmaster, Magpul, Sig, and some old military mags that my brother found in the bottom of some crate at an army surplus store. I upgraded the military mags and the Colt to Magpul followers and I never had a mag related problem. The Magpul mags are great, easily the best thing available given their price, reliability, and features such as a dust cover. For a few bucks more you can even get a little window in the mag that lets you see how much ammo is remaining. The only problem with them is that they do not fit some AR mag pouches due to their thicker construction. This is also a problem with the 20 rounders as they are too short for many pouches.

I have never used an HK mag and given their $40 price tag I never will. I have heard stories about them denting easily and the spring wearing out faster than normal but I have not seen it happen. Infact as far as the springs go HK refuses to sell replacement springs and considers the whole mag to be disposable. Even without these alleged problems HK mags are still way more expensive than good USGI or Magpul mags so there is really no reason to buy them.
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Thanks Chris. I sorta set you up for a cross post on that one.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

I know mags are disposable, but it seems like a bit of a waste to chuck the whole mag when it can be fixed with a spring swap, especially when said mag is $40.
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Most of mine are steel mags from Chartered Industries. Good to know that they're decent quality. The aluminum one which came with my High Standard AR is marked "NHMTG, Hartford, CT", and it's much lighter than the steel ones. Seems solid enough.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
halogreen

Post by halogreen »

I have moved everything in my inventory to PMags. They are cheap, effective and reliable. Love 'em.

Thanks for all the info Chris. I had no idea there were so many manufacturers out there.
Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

The Magpul P-mags are most excellent despite my dislike of most things plastic.

The Thermolds and Orlites can and will crack out at the mag lips, one thing to watch for. Had a couple of these over the years in classes.

The Cammenga mag is a novel package, quick to load and very damage resistant. For the price it better be! Not as pricey as the H&K's but don't get them from Cammenga, Impact has them for @$20. http://www.impactguns.com/store/cammenga.html Watch the video closely!

After those, the Brownells mags are the ones I've been using and recommending lately the most.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I've had good luck with Armalite, C Products and Magpul PMags.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Chris, thoughts on the two manufacturers of 6.8 mags - PRI and C Products?

There's a fairly large price gap between the two - PRI is twice as expensive as CProducts for 6.8 mags($18 vs $43)

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
tcourtplayer

Post by tcourtplayer »

HTRN wrote:Chris, thoughts on the two manufacturers of 6.8 mags - PRI and C Products?

There's a fairly large price gap between the two - PRI is twice as expensive as CProducts for 6.8 mags($18 vs $43)

HTRN
It was my understanding that you could use the normal 5.56 mags with 6.8, you just couldn't load them as much (25 rounds vice 30.) Does anyone with more experience know how well they feed from the other mags or if this is just a bunch of bs?
JAG: So why do you need armor piercing ammo?
tcourtplayer: Zombies
JAG: For when they hide behind engine blocks?
tcourtplayer: Just because the movies say they will be dumb and slow doesn't make it true.
JAG: WOW!!!
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

Chris,

By Magpul follower, are you talking about the gray no-tilt? I've had very good luck with them so far.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.