Fire Piston

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Rumpshot

Fire Piston

Post by Rumpshot »

I keep coming across the fire piston at various places. To purchase they are a bit pricey starting with kits at about $26.00 and up to over $200.00 for the fancy ones.

Anyone ever use one? Had any thoughts about putting one in your kit?
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
First Shirt

Re: Fire Piston

Post by First Shirt »

Backwoods magazine had an article about them a couple of years ago, including plans to make your own out of simple stuff around the house. IIRC, mine cost about three bucks, and actually works quite well. I keep it in my walkabout bag for trips into the boonies (along with flint & steel, waterproof matches, and a couple of disposable lighters, as well as the ever-present Zippo. I WILL get a fire going, if needed.)

Let me dig around, and see if I can find the article.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Well I'll be, never knew of such a thing. I did a little searching after reading of the fire piston here, one site said it's basically the Diesel principle at work.
Last edited by Darrell on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
randy

Post by randy »

For those, like me, that had never heard of this before, here's what a little google-fu came up with: linky
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Here's some directions on building one, that shouldn't cost very much, and let's you do it yourself.

http://www.centerfinger.com/how-to-make-a-fire-piston/
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

I've got a few of them, non self made, and they all work extremely well, unless they get completely soaked.

Available from:
Wilderness Solutions
Primitive Fire
Fire Pistons

Additional fire starting info available in the WIKI and Gear Section:

Survival Gear - Makers Dealers & Information
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

randy wrote:For those, like me, that had never heard of this before, here's what a little google-fu came up with: linky
This was the site I was perusing last night. They had an ad in my MuzzleBlasts magazine and I had some time to kill.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Here's an article on making one from a Mini Mag light. Handy because it lets you keep everything you need in a small self contained, and still watertight package.

http://wiki.goingprepared.com/index.php ... ire_piston