Advice on a handheld CB radio requested.

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Factfind

Advice on a handheld CB radio requested.

Post by Factfind »

I would like to own a handheld cb radio for use in the truck or as a part of my emergncy gear bag.
I know little about brands for this type of electronics and I could use some advice. I did see a nifty little Kenwwod tri-band (Kenwood THF6A) radio, but by the time you get done with accessories, car jack,case, extra battery etc, you are in the $500.00 range and that's more than I want to spend for a "maybe need".

Your thoughts?
Thanks,
FF
randy

Re: Advice on a handheld CB radio requested.

Post by randy »

The Kenwood radio you mentioned is NOT a CB radio. It is an Amateur Radio and requires an FCC Amateur Radio Operator's license to transmit with. (Technician Class)

While I would highly encourage you to get your amateur license, the answer to the question you asked is that Radio Shack still carries (I think) a full line of Citizen's Band Radios. Midland is another brand that has a good rep.

I don't mess much with CB, not when I have fully cabable Ham gear available, but the the RS mobile I bought over 20 years ago is still functional for the "just in case" scenario.

I don't have any recent experience with CB Handhelds, so no direct advice.

You might google REACT and see if any of their sites have discussions about gear to get and stay away from
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

PS: in case any of you are confused about the CB vs Ham radio thing, I have an article in the Wiki that discussess various Disaster Communications systems and issues.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Factfind

Post by Factfind »

Thank you much Randy.
Glenn Bartley

Post by Glenn Bartley »

I am not saying it is right, nor am I saying you should do it, but many people purchase and use GMRS radios without ever obtaining a license.
When I look in the mirror, I am happy to see, some of that nine year old boy, who used to be me.

http://ballseyesboomers.blogspot.com/
curtiskacin

Post by curtiskacin »

Everyone who prepares for disasters should put their electronics in these. http://www.esdproduct.com/ESD_bags.php
They protect from a sudden static discharge. :idea:
We don't make the problem. We use the problem.

If the battle for civilization comes down to the wimps versus the barbarians, the barbarians are going to win. Thomas Sowell