Watches

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
eocoolj

Re: Watches

Post by eocoolj »

esa5444 wrote:I do, but it's possessed. It randomly plays "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash. I have no clue how that song got on there or why it plays, but just that occasionally I will be walking around late at night or go out for a smoke, and it will go off.
But, you could always use a little Johnny Cash. That sounds like more of a feature than a defect. At least its playing Johnny Cash and not Britney Spears or some gangster rap.
Bob K

Post by Bob K »

I'm sort of a collector. Never intended to be, just worked out that way.

Don't know your budget or needs, but ...

Most accurate watch I own is a mid 50s Movado 28 jewel automatic chronometer. Shames the Rolex in terms of accuracy.

Most reliable, heavy duty watch is the Omega Speedmaster chronograph, purchased new ca. 1970.

Most comfortable watch to wear is a Gruen Curvex.

Best quartz watch, the TAG Heuer.

Just my opine. YMMV.
"Youth and skill are no match for age and treachery." Unknown

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

"Oderint dum metuant." ("Let them hate, so long as they fear.") Accius
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

esa5444 wrote:
kparker wrote:Don't you people have cell phones??????
I do, but it's possessed. It randomly plays "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash. I have no clue how that song got on there or why it plays, but just that occasionally I will be walking around late at night or go out for a smoke, and it will go off.
Dude, that's your ringer. You need to answer, it's probably your libido calling!

:shock: :arrow: :lol:
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
drice

Post by drice »

I've got a number of Seiko's and Citizens, and all are fine watches, but my favorites now are Skaagen's. The 4 I own are very low-profile and sleek. They are not robust, and I've broken 1 of the crystals, but they are light and attractive, and they're typically less than $120.

I've never seen a Rolex, Omega, or Tag Hauer that I would wear. I think they're ugly, but that's me.

I have seen some extremely attractive high-end watches, but I just can't see spending $1K for a watch, much less $10K or more.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I've got a Wenger Swiss Army watch, titanium band and case, that The Boss bought for me five or six years ago. It matches hers, which I got for her the previous Christmas. She has a base metal allergy that prohibits wearing anything but 14k gold, or titanium, and she thought it would be neat for us to have his-n-hers watches. Given all the chemicals I work around every day, it's probably a good choice.

It looks nice enough that I can wear it for special occasions, but still tough enough to hold up under pretty serious abuse.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I wear a stainless Luminox with the matching metal band. I finally killed my first one after 7 years of abuse (can possibly be repaired, but need to send it in), and was feeling cheap so I bought a stainless Wenger "Swiss Military" watch to replace it. Because it lacks a locking crown, through normal activity the crown gets pulled out, and the watch loses time until some random bump knocks the crown back in. Drove me nuts until I figured out what was going on. Mrs. Netpackrat bought me a new Luminox just like my old one last Christmas and I like it very much. The Wenger keeps perfect time, but only when it is sitting on my desk where it has been for the last year... Prior to buying the first Luminox I used to go through Timexes at the rate of about one per year.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
esa5444

Post by esa5444 »

I have an older version of this http://www.radiocontrolledclock.com/blacleatwris2.html

I have a different face, and the bracelet is stainless steel coated in something black. However, about 30% of this coating is worn off, there are gouges in the bezel, and because I once slammed the car hood on the watch, the bracelet is held together with bits of paper clips rather than the factory method. It has a sapphire lens, though, which has remained in perfect condition. The action has also proven itself very robust, and it is the most precise operation of any quartz watch I have ever seen.

Germans, the swines. Strange thing is they make such bloody good watches.
randy

Post by randy »

esa5444 wrote:Germans, the swines. Strange thing is they make such bloody good watches.
Don't sweat it Eugene. Just take this drink of Grain alcohol and rain water and go have a wash and brush up.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

I have an old Rolex Submariner that was given to me. If you are in that market, they're fairly reasonable right now.

It's pretty much been through hell -- Dad was quite adamant that he bought that watch because he needed one tough enough to take what he was doing, and that the safest place for it was on me -- I've cracked the glass, broken the band, smashed the bezel, etc -- Rolex always fixed it for a reasonable price -- just always deal w. Rolex directly.

W. the steel bracelet, it does feel a bit too much like jewelry (personally, I'd much prefer a Hublot) but it is fairly tough.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

Wifey gave me a Swiss Army brand all stainless watch 12 years ago. Not sure if that's Wenger or another "Swiss" brand. It's held up remarkably well, and on it's third battery and runs fine. Granted, I wear it for "everyday", like work and sometimes on weekends. If I'm working in the yard, shooting, fishing, or taking the guns for another ill-fated boat ride, I wear a cheap Armitron.
I replaced the old Armitron I had for rough use for about 15 years with another one that looks and works exactly the same, though I will replace the crappy velcro wristband.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.