M65 Field Jacket - best place to buy?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Weetabix

M65 Field Jacket - best place to buy?

Post by Weetabix »

I have an old M65 that I got at a garage sale in about 1992 for $3. I think I paid $5 each for the liners. It has served me well, but it's pretty much shot. I want a new one. They're just about the best fall field coat, I think. Tough, plenty of pockets, adequately adjustable, good length, etc.

It's hard to tell the cheapies from the fashion statements from something that would be just rugged and utilitarian.

Any recommendations on makers? That said, I've always liked surplus stuff for field wear because it's durable and has good utility. I wouldn't be opposed to something commercial.

I'm looking for:
- durable, durable, durable - I don't want to worry about thorns, abrasion, and dirt
- plenty of pockets that secure
- adaptable (liner in/liner out)
- relatively light w/o the liner
- covers my butt

Here are some makers I've found:

Alpha Industries claims to have been awarded a contract in 1965 to make them for the military.
Amazon has the Alpha Industries for less, and I might be able to use black more often
Here's one made in the US by Golden

Any commercial alternatives? Fire away!
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Jered

Re: M65 Field Jacket - best place to buy?

Post by Jered »

I have an Alpha Industries peacoat.

It goes great with blue jeans and a black turtleneck.

I'd probably go with the Alpha Industries. I'm still wearing my M65 jacket I got from the Army over 10 years ago.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I don't think I have ever found a field jacket type coat that I really liked. The closest one was a "Bush Pilot Jacket" that Cabela's sold years ago... I wore out two of them, and when I went to buy a third I found they had been discontinued. Different jacket from the one they sell today. Oddly enough I like some of the French military jackets, but the ones I have seen have a button front instead of a zipper, which disqualifies them.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

Netpackrat wrote:I don't think I have ever found a field jacket type coat that I really liked. The closest one was a "Bush Pilot Jacket" that Cabela's sold years ago... I wore out two of them, and when I went to buy a third I found they had been discontinued. Different jacket from the one they sell today. Oddly enough I like some of the French military jackets, but the ones I have seen have a button front instead of a zipper, which disqualifies them.
Have you seen the Fireforce Ventures, SADF jacket?
randy

Post by randy »

Netpackrat wrote:Oddly enough I like some of the French military jackets, but the ones I have seen have a button front instead of a zipper, which disqualifies them.
Or you could consider getting one that you like and having a zipper added?
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Jered wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:I don't think I have ever found a field jacket type coat that I really liked. The closest one was a "Bush Pilot Jacket" that Cabela's sold years ago... I wore out two of them, and when I went to buy a third I found they had been discontinued. Different jacket from the one they sell today. Oddly enough I like some of the French military jackets, but the ones I have seen have a button front instead of a zipper, which disqualifies them.
Have you seen the Fireforce Ventures, SADF jacket?
I like it except for the button closure. Also, buying one appears to involve sending money to Canadians, which I try to avoid.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

Netpackrat wrote: I like it except for the button closure. Also, buying one appears to involve sending money to Canadians, which I try to avoid.
I've dealt with them a lot. One of the guys is a veteran of the Canadian forces.

And they're selling Rhodesian stuff, too. :P

They aren't as cancerous as Lower Mainlanders.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Jered

Post by Jered »

scipioafricanus wrote:He has good stuff: https://www.mikesmilitaria.com/
I've bought from him, too.