Mo Redneck engineering

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
FelixEstrella

Mo Redneck engineering

Post by FelixEstrella »

For y'all who don't ride motorcycles or don't know what a Rotopax is, skip now.

Been trying to acquire a locking system for my Rotopax mounts. The OEM thing is expensive and unreliable -- the cylinder lock is prone to seizing up and rendering the lock PERMANENT. So, redneck engineering went into overdrive. See attached pics. Four 4" 3/8" eyebolts, a 3/8" tap and a light-weight padlock. Badda bing, badda boom.
p001.jpg
p002.jpg
p003.jpg
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
g-man

Re: Mo Redneck engineering

Post by g-man »

I assume you have to screw each of the eye-bolts out for removal? A bit fidgety for using very often, but secure; and a damn sight better than 'permanently secure' should the OEM solution have failed.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Yeah. The bolts are screwed in finger tight only, so removing them is a 30 second job. I don't foresee using the bolts often, but I do park my bike in a city parking garage frequented by miscreants who think nothing of "opportunity" thieving bits that can be grabbed off a bike. Had a soft tail-bag with rain gear and some tools stolen some time back.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Where are you putting that on the bike? Doesn't it screw with balance?
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Side of top case. 16 lbs between the two Rotopax. No big deal.
Blogspot
picsig
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

If they are above tank level, you can probably transfer most of the contents into your main tank using a shaker siphon, without removing them. I can do that with the jerry cans on the back of my Jeep, and it is pretty convenient.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop