Action wrench for 1892 rifle

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
FelixEstrella

Action wrench for 1892 rifle

Post by FelixEstrella »

I have a need to remove the barrel from a 1892 action (a Puma 92 to be precise). I'm done so successfully on FALs, M1s, M1 carbines, using the Brownells system of removable jaws -- this-- But I cannot find a set of jaws for an 1892 rifle.

Any other ideas out there?
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Netpackrat

Re: Action wrench for 1892 rifle

Post by Netpackrat »

Yes. When I removed the barrel from my Ranch Hand for threading, I used a Mauser 98 action wrench with the removable part reversed which provided a flat. Picture in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=26844

If the back half of the rifle is going to stay assembled, don't forget to open the action slightly before turning the barrel, so you don't fuck up the extractor.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Sweet! Thanks for the 98 hint. That's awesome!
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I'm just glad that something I posted turned out to be useful. Can you tell us more about your project?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

I acquired a Puma M92 in 454 Casull. It appears that the barrel is overtightened judging by the position of the front sight relative to the plane of the receiver. Perhaps a shim and a new extractor cut.
Blogspot
picsig
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

FelixEstrella wrote:I acquired a Puma M92 in 454 Casull. It appears that the barrel is overtightened judging by the position of the front sight relative to the plane of the receiver. Perhaps a shim and a new extractor cut.
Try rolling or peening the shoulder of the barrel; that effectively adds length to the shoulder eliminating any need for a shim or new extractor cut. The work can be done neatly enough to be unnoticeable.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Old Grafton wrote: Try rolling or peening the shoulder of the barrel; that effectively adds length to the shoulder eliminating any need for a shim or new extractor cut. The work can be done neatly enough to be unnoticeable.
+1.
Blogspot
picsig
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

FelixEstrella wrote:Perhaps a shim and a new extractor cut.
Move the shoulder back. :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt