What to put on the muzzle

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Rich Jordan

What to put on the muzzle

Post by Rich Jordan »

I've used an AR with a ALG Defense Sidewinder brake on a 20" barrel, and it rather disturbs people in neighboring lanes at the range and was noticeable to me. I've also fired an RRA 16" heavy barrel with one of their brakes with nasty crenellations to scare people, but don't recall the side blast or concussion (been a few years). Nothing else I have has a 'muzzle device' on it so thats my total experience.

So for a 16" midweight AR, which is going to be my 'general purpose' AR (with a red dot or holosight, for fun, plinking, shorter range target, etc), what would you screw on the end of the barrel?

I've been reading up on brakes, birdcages, thread protectors, and the Novesky blast reducer/linear brake style but don't really have an idea on the impact (other than the birdcage is cheapest).

Thanks
Steamforger

Re: What to put on the muzzle

Post by Steamforger »

I don't know but I do run an 11.5" AR with an A2 brake and it is abusive.

I have a KAK Flash Can for a .300 BLK project that never materialized. It seems ok, but is 100% aluminium and I question it's long term survival. I haven't bothered with one in 5.56.
The Levang linear comp looks interesting, but I've read some reviews that mentioned the finish was sub-standard.
Everything else was near enough $$$ or more $$$ than the Noveske Flaming Pig.

The Noveske KX5 gets here this week.
AggieWalt

Post by AggieWalt »

I have a KAK type flash re-director on a blackout and it works. The break portion is steel but the cover is aluminum. But As was mentioned I am a bit skeptical on the longevity but it works for now.
Apathy rules with an iron fist so we must strike back with steel resolve.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

If you don't want to drop the coin for a suppressor, you want a linear compensator like the Levang or Kaw Valley. They significantly reduce side and back blast. Or you could get a Ferfrans modular.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Netpackrat wrote:https://silencerco.com/
Illinois. No silencers no how, unless the law changes, and the bad guys have large majorities in the legislature.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I like a three prong flash hider and have found that the old m16 style works great. 5.56 doesn't kick much and I really don't see a need for a muzzle break unless you are shooting 3 gun or have the need for quick follow up shots.
I have a lantac Dragon on one of my rifles and it works great. The rifle doesn't move when shooting. The bad thing is, no one wants to be your friend when your shooting. It's loud, very loud.
I just got my tax stamp for my SBR . I will be trying a few different muzzle devices to find one that I like.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Thanks for the input. I've been doing more reading on the various linear comps. I think its down to a thread protector or one of the linear models, at least till I get a chance to try things. I don't have a need for a back-pressure increasing model like the Noveske. And the fellow with the RRA and its toothy brake is going to bring that rifle out next time we go to the range so I can't try it again.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Rich Jordan wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:https://silencerco.com/
Illinois. No silencers no how, unless the law changes, and the bad guys have large majorities in the legislature.
Suckage... You could still maybe get a trust partner in an adjacent state, so you could visit your silencer on weekends or something.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

My brother is in KY. And hopefully we'll be retiring in a few more years. Options exist but I doubt I'll do a suppressor until we leave this state (or a miracle happens and the suppressor enabling law passes).