Why don't holster makers make smartphone holsters?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Dub_James

Why don't holster makers make smartphone holsters?

Post by Dub_James »

Been through too many plastic and paperboard phone pouches. Getting fed up with replacing them every few months.

Any holster companies making something to fill this niche?
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
JustinR

Re: Why don't holster makers make smartphone holsters?

Post by JustinR »

What kind of phone, and what kinds have you tried?

I've used a Ballistic brand case/holster for an iPhone 5, and a Pellican case/holster for my current iPhone 6, which I'm getting ready to replace after about a year and a half. They have lasted reasonably well for constant, everyday use. I bought my wife an Otterbox because she tends to abuse her phone, and my BIL had a LifeProof case he liked.

I haven't specifically seen any holster companies making phone cases, although I think MagPul is still making sleeves.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

It's a Samsung something or other, typical smartphone dimensions.

I've used an Otter case on my previous work phone. Was always afraid it was going to slip off my waist. Spring loaded clip never worked well, esp. on a gun belt. Came off sometimes when pulling off a sweater, or unbuckling a seat belt. Eventually the clip snapped when it snagged the armrest on a chair in work as I sat down.

Ballistic appears to be a similar mechanism to the Otters. Can't find anything on the Pelican website, is there a specific model?

Looking for something leather, with strong loops to attach to a belt. Holster makers could make a mint with a rugged, good quality product.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Don't use one. I have a protective snap case and a screen protection sheet. The phone rides in a jacket pocket or my man purse. iPhone 6S Plus.
Termite

Post by Termite »

"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

http://www.moonshineleather.com/leather ... cases.dept

I have a pouch from these people. Not a like a good fitting holster but good leather work.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

I ordered this for a friend in the UK, and AFAIK, he LOVES the thing!! Unfortunately, it appears they no longer make many phone/pad/laptop cases like they did a few years ago. Check them out anyway, you still might find something that catches your eye and can do the job.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

I have a case I've been using for well over four years, and three different phones. It's genuine leather (not "vegan leather," whatever the hell that is). It has a swivel belt clip, which is snug enough for wear on the waistband of my pants. I wear suspenders, not a belt, so it's considerably less for the clip to hang on to. I have tried it on a belt, and it is VERY snug, it should hold on very well. It's never fallen off my waistband in all the time I've had it. Only available in black, with a magnetic closure that holds tightly to this day. It comes in a couple of different sizes, to fit different models of phone. The inside is a soft material, easy on the phone, and the leather and stitching have held up for much longer than I thought they would. $20.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/accesso ... uchstyle1/
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/prod ... =mens-home

They also have a fire hose type one. I have not personally tried either one and they seem to be a bit pricey.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.