Uh huh huh huh .... he said chainsaw

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
FelixEstrella
On a list somewhere

Uh huh huh huh .... he said chainsaw

Postby FelixEstrella » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:44 am

Lost a tree in my front yard in the recent glueballwarminginducedarmageddon in CA.

Have had a nice little 18" Homelite saw for years. But needed a bigger one for this job. Got a Stihl 25". YEAH!!!
p1.jpg
p2.jpg
p3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig

Kommander
Active Shooter

Re: Uh huh huh huh .... he said chainsaw

Postby Kommander » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:22 am

When life gives you lemons, you buy a chainsaw.

Old Grafton
Trigger Junkie

Postby Old Grafton » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:14 pm

Bigger saws are better. Bigger saws can do little jobs.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.

Darrell
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Darrell » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:53 pm

I had need of a chainsaw years ago, I wound up buying a Poulan from Lowes. I've kicked myself many times for buying such a cheap POS saw.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:09 pm

ar, arrr, ARRRR MORE POWER!!!

Been a while since running my little Husky, so I armed up my rusty skills on a decorative cherry tree that croaked during the drought.

Next up a couple more challenging trees. That tax my little 18" saw. Got a 25' tall rubber tree that needs to go and an avocado that needs stumped (victim of drought/water pricing). Fresh chain, plenty of bar oil and patience...

The rubber tree never should have been located where it is -- too close to my favorite avocado tree (1 of 6 remaining of original 40) and stressing it by out competing it for water.
The other avocado has died out up top but is sending shoots off the stump. I'd leave it sitting there like a snag while (if) it comes back just for the view of it. Various birds (doves, hawks) like to set a spell in it but dear wife doesn't like the starkness of it right along our drive.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

FelixEstrella
On a list somewhere

Postby FelixEstrella » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:26 pm

Darrell wrote:I had need of a chainsaw years ago, I wound up buying a Poulan from Lowes. I've kicked myself many times for buying such a cheap POS saw.

I went thru three POS saws from HomeDeepdough before I realized what was killing them -- long term storage of ethanol-fuel in the saw. Since that epiphany I religiously drain the fuel and run the saw dry before storing it, after every use. My little 18" Homelite has been a champ for years now and kicks over after 2-3 pulls every time.
Last edited by FelixEstrella on Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig

Odahi
Loose Cannon

Postby Odahi » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:57 pm

Yeah, ethanol has always kind of made me shake my head.

"We need more fuel!"
"I know, let's burn FOOD!"

Gee, Sparky, maybe we could come up with a better idea.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.

Termite
Probably Unemployed

Postby Termite » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:55 pm

FelixEstrella wrote:I went thru three POS saws from HomeDeepdough before I realized what was killing them -- long term storage of ethanol-fuel in the saw. Since that that epiphany I religiously drain the fuel and run the saw dry before storing it, after every use.

100LL. It's not just for airplanes...........
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."

Termite
Probably Unemployed

Postby Termite » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:57 pm

Odahi wrote:Yeah, ethanol has always kind of made me shake my head.

"We need more fuel!"
"I know, let's burn FOOD!"

Jack Daniels and Jose Cuervo pretty much perfected the best use for ethanol.......... 8-)
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."

Denis
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Denis » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:43 am

Vroom! Splendid. Well wear and happy felling. Remember your PPE - we don't want to have to call you limpy!

Return to “Gear Talk and Tech”