Uh huh huh huh .... he said chainsaw

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
FelixEstrella

Uh huh huh huh .... he said chainsaw

Post by FelixEstrella »

Lost a tree in my front yard in the recent glueballwarminginducedarmageddon in CA.

Have had a nice little 18" Homelite saw for years. But needed a bigger one for this job. Got a Stihl 25". YEAH!!!
p1.jpg
p2.jpg
p3.jpg
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Kommander

Re: Uh huh huh huh .... he said chainsaw

Post by Kommander »

When life gives you lemons, you buy a chainsaw.
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Bigger saws are better. Bigger saws can do little jobs.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I had need of a chainsaw years ago, I wound up buying a Poulan from Lowes. I've kicked myself many times for buying such a cheap POS saw.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

ar, arrr, ARRRR MORE POWER!!!

Been a while since running my little Husky, so I armed up my rusty skills on a decorative cherry tree that croaked during the drought.

Next up a couple more challenging trees. That tax my little 18" saw. Got a 25' tall rubber tree that needs to go and an avocado that needs stumped (victim of drought/water pricing). Fresh chain, plenty of bar oil and patience...

The rubber tree never should have been located where it is -- too close to my favorite avocado tree (1 of 6 remaining of original 40) and stressing it by out competing it for water.
The other avocado has died out up top but is sending shoots off the stump. I'd leave it sitting there like a snag while (if) it comes back just for the view of it. Various birds (doves, hawks) like to set a spell in it but dear wife doesn't like the starkness of it right along our drive.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Darrell wrote:I had need of a chainsaw years ago, I wound up buying a Poulan from Lowes. I've kicked myself many times for buying such a cheap POS saw.
I went thru three POS saws from HomeDeepdough before I realized what was killing them -- long term storage of ethanol-fuel in the saw. Since that epiphany I religiously drain the fuel and run the saw dry before storing it, after every use. My little 18" Homelite has been a champ for years now and kicks over after 2-3 pulls every time.
Last edited by FelixEstrella on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

Yeah, ethanol has always kind of made me shake my head.

"We need more fuel!"
"I know, let's burn FOOD!"

Gee, Sparky, maybe we could come up with a better idea.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
Termite

Post by Termite »

FelixEstrella wrote: I went thru three POS saws from HomeDeepdough before I realized what was killing them -- long term storage of ethanol-fuel in the saw. Since that that epiphany I religiously drain the fuel and run the saw dry before storing it, after every use.
100LL. It's not just for airplanes...........
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Termite

Post by Termite »

Odahi wrote:Yeah, ethanol has always kind of made me shake my head.

"We need more fuel!"
"I know, let's burn FOOD!"
Jack Daniels and Jose Cuervo pretty much perfected the best use for ethanol.......... 8-)
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Denis

Post by Denis »

Vroom! Splendid. Well wear and happy felling. Remember your PPE - we don't want to have to call you limpy!