Help me figure out mobile HF radios

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Precision

Help me figure out mobile HF radios

Post by Precision »

I am looking to set up an HF radio for SHTF and general fun.

I am currently residing in Nashville and am most interested talking to my buddy in Kansas.

Desires:
to normally have it mounted up in my basement.
To have a quick relocate option into my truck. I realize this may require a secondary battery and/or putting in a bigger alternator.
To have a clue what the above 2 options will cost.

I am looking at a Yaesu FT-857D because that is what my internet search turned up, but I know nothing about this.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Rustyv

Re: Help me figure out mobile HF radios

Post by Rustyv »

The 857 is a nice radio for the money. I want one, and the guys that convinced me to get my license both have them. Don't forget the power supply, coax cable, and the automated antenna tuner is a real nice to have.

You'll probably want 2 antennas: a base station and a mobile pre-mounted in your rig. Pre-made base stations are usually 10-15 feet tall, though if you have a nice tall tree nearby, look up the "fan dipole" and make your own.

All that said, talking from one state to the next can be interesting. Propagation gets weird sometimes. Some days one of my buddies can chat with his dad just over the Oklahoma border, other days they can't hear each other at all, but europe and Australia come in perfectly. All depends on the frequency, sunspots and solar activity in general, the whims of God, how the RF feels like bouncing around that day.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Precision wrote:I am looking at a Yaesu FT-857D because that is what my internet search turned up, but I know nothing about this.
I think that one is the best bang for the buck. It's what I bought.

Don't forget to get licensed. ;)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Have you gotten your ham radio license yet? If not, find a local ham radio club and get with them to learn the ropes. I suggest you join the club, but if you are not inclined that is okay too. I believe there are now 3 levels of licenses. Technician, very easy to get. General, a little study will be required. and Extra, lots of study. You could obtain the technician in a month or two. General, you could do in about the same. Extra will take a little longer to learn.

I suggest you get a 2-meter (VHF) mobile rig and get familiar with it and the local repeaters. As much for familiarity with radios and local coverage as an opportunity to find an "Elmer". An Elmer is nothing more than a mentor, but is invaluable for learning/understanding ham radio.

I just picked up a QYT KT8900 Mini Dual Band Car Radio from Amazon for $75. I would recommend you get the later version,
QYT KT-8900D 25W Dual Band Mini Mobile Transceiver. It is still under $100. Programming either is not childs play, but software makes it easy. Both of these radios can do stuff that will make your head spin. Don't worry about that for now.

Randy can probably help you more than just about anybody left on the board.

The Yaesu FT-857D is a great radio. I have not used one, but they are highly rated. Amazon has a package: Yaesu FT-857D HF/VHF/UHF 100W Ultra Compact Mobile Transceiver with Nifty! Accessories Mini-Manual and Ham Guides TM Quick Reference Card Bundle!! for about $925. I recommend the Nifty! mini-manual. It is compact and readily helpful, while the owners manual requires lots more pages and digging through.

I have an Icom IC-7000, a very similar radio, but one generation out of date now. I like it a lot.

Rusty mentioned antennas. Don't scrimp there. Particularly for your mobile antenna. Temporary antennas work, some work exceptionally well, but there are limits to them. Base station antennas run from a simple long wire to massive beams on a tall tower.

Good Luck,
N7PXD
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

I dont do mobile HF, but I do some portable HF from tme to time. Do you really want mobile(i.e. while you're driving)?
That tends to limit most normal people to voice modes. Those I've known who do said the biggest thing to worry about is the moble antenna and tuner. Limiting the antenna to something that fits in the vehicle severly limits its performance, so you want the best you can get. You will also work at the smaller wavelengths of hf, and again theres not much ssb bandwidth. Now if you're like the one guy who i knew who could converse via cw while driving(i.e. not a normal person) then mobile opens up a bit. Most traffic is moving to digital modes on hf, so it becomes an issue of texting while driving, thus i prefer portable.
Ive used Yaesu and theirs are nice. I actually like Icom better though due to interface aesthetics. ymmv.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

I've been fighting a cold last couple of days (home sick today), I'll try to post something when I can sit at the keyboard more than a few minutes at a time.

...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Precision

Post by Precision »

slowpoke wrote:I dont do mobile HF, but I do some portable HF from tme to time. Do you really want mobile(i.e. while you're driving)?
That tends to limit most normal people to voice modes. Those I've known who do said the biggest thing to worry about is the moble antenna and tuner. Limiting the antenna to something that fits in the vehicle severly limits its performance, so you want the best you can get. You will also work at the smaller wavelengths of hf, and again theres not much ssb bandwidth. Now if you're like the one guy who i knew who could converse via cw while driving(i.e. not a normal person) then mobile opens up a bit. Most traffic is moving to digital modes on hf, so it becomes an issue of texting while driving, thus i prefer portable.
Ive used Yaesu and theirs are nice. I actually like Icom better though due to interface aesthetics. ymmv.
portable would be fine. If I understand you correctly, I could do portable from my car I would be better served to do it while pulled over though.

In theory, I am going to become part of a local and extended group of like minded individuals that wants an alternative comms vehicle in case things go sideways and as a way to speak to a buddy in case SHTF requires mobility from his location to mine or visa versa.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Precision

Post by Precision »

Rumpshot,

Thanks. I will investigate that bundle on Amazon. I will also take due care regarding antennea. This is a complete learning project for me, so I need to build from pretty damn close to zero.

Are there any informational sites I can peruse to get a clue and the lingo without diving straight into the deep end?
Precision

Post by Precision »

Thanks guys.

I will likely go play at one of the local clubs for their insight and guidance to getting the licensing. I await Randy feeling better to pick his brain and any further guidance you all have.

One thing would be helping to explain to me the difference in use between the $100 units Rumpshot mentioned vs the $1000 unit I referenced. By difference, I mean utility of certain bands, user interface, portability, power draw/ demand -- whatever might be important to know. Would buying one of the lower price units be a good home unit and the expensive one be small so thus portable?
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

A deep time sink website: http://www.ac6v.com/

The tiny unit I just got is good for line of sight (really a bit better than that) local use. It would teach you a lot about short range propagation and some about antennas if you build your own.

The unit you described is capable in the VHF/UHF spectrum, same as my little one, but also in the HF bands. It will do a lot more than the inexpensive one. The Yaesu will draw about 20-22 amps of power. My little QYT draws less than 10 amps. My QYT transmits I think 25 watts of signal, the Yaesu, depending on the band will transmit 100 watts of signal. The Yaesu has many more features and benefits.

For programming any computer programmable rig out there, I most heartily recommend rt Systems programming kits.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona