Help me figure out mobile HF radios

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
randy

Re: Help me figure out mobile HF radios

Post by randy »

Here's a page with several links to free study guides.

I worked with Ron on development of the original Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Course back in the late 90's and trust that anything he links to is good.

You can also review the Technician Test Question Pool.. The test you will take will have only questions drawn from this pool. If it isn't in the question pool, you won't be tested on it. Make sure anything you find on the web was published after July 1, 2014.
Those questions are valid until June 30, 2018, at which point a new pool will be issued.

Different people study in different ways. So if the free ones don't work:

I've always used the ARRL study guides.

I know a lot of folks that that like the W5YI materials.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Precision

Post by Precision »

thanks for the links. I read through the info and took a quiz. For the Tech license it seems to be about common sense and phrase recognition. After doing a once through slow read, I got an 88%. The questions were heavily favored towards things I already knew, so that is likely an fluke. But a few 30 minute study sessions over a few days and I am pretty sure I could pass.

I may study the tech and general both before taking the test as I hear if you pass the tech, taking the general is free and no penalty for failure on the general. Is that the case?

Looks like I am on my way. I have a radio being delivered on Wed and hopefully by the end of the week I won't just use word recognition and luck to pass the test, some of this will have actually sunk in.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Rustyv

Post by Rustyv »

That's the case. I took my tech a few years back, passed, and was handed the general exam. Took it and passed, and was handed the extra exam. Failed that one, but only by a couple of questions. Hadn't studied for it at all.

I would at least study for your tech and general exams, maybe make a few passes through the extra question pool.

Which reminds me, I need to go back and take my extra exam again :geek:
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Just realized I need to renew my Ham license by April. I too should brush up on Extra and take the test.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Precision

Post by Precision »

Glad to be the alarm clock to help you guys remember things. lol
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
randy

Post by randy »

Precision wrote: After doing a once through slow read, I got an 88%.
As we used to say in Targeting School: 76% is overkill.

And what Rusty said. Take 'em all and collect the set!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Rumpshot wrote:Just realized I need to renew my Ham license by April. I too should brush up on Extra and take the test.
Mine is september I think, and same old on the extra test.

We should try for a gun counter hf net some time.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

randy wrote:
Precision wrote: After doing a once through slow read, I got an 88%.
As we used to say in Targeting School: 76% is overkill.

And what Rusty said. Take 'em all and collect the set!
I am gonna study for the technical and the general. That way I should AT LEAST pass the technical. I really think my 88% was a fluke of good questions. definitely more study needed.

In other news, the radio, the extra cap battery and the programming cable all came today. I will get them programmed over the weekend by my buddy who is in the group.
Precision

Post by Precision »

randy wrote:
You can also review the Technician Test Question Pool.. The test you will take will have only questions drawn from this pool. If it isn't in the question pool, you won't be tested on it. Make sure anything you find on the web was published after July 1, 2014.
Those questions are valid until June 30, 2018, at which point a new pool will be issued.
this used to be a link to the sample tests. Now it is not. I was taking the practice tests and went to do a couple more tonight and bang it isn't there anymore. hmmm

ETA: maybe I had the links confused but I found the one I wanted. https://www.qrz.com/hamtest/
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Maybe if you don't want to use a battery to buffer it, you could use a big-ass capacitor. :P
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D