building AR's for profit

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Precision

Re: building AR's for profit

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote:I think the 50 gun thing is strictly for ATF's rules. It has no bearing on whether or not you have to pay ITAR.
My interaction with ATF says they could care less about ITAR. But not wanting run afoul of State either.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Precision

Post by Precision »

Denis wrote:Forgive me for being the devil's advocate...

Have you done your research to make sure there is actually a demand for this, in the sense of a sufficient number of people willing and able to pay for build classes after buying a registered, recorded receiver?

As I see it, the attraction would be for people to learn how to complete an 80% receiver in order to have a no-official-records piece. (Insert here all the reasons why providing services to facilitate such activity will land you in trouble...) If they are simply buying a complete over-the counter receiver (albeit with custom engraving), how many really need and will actually pay for tuition on how to finish the build? There is so much information, good and bad, available online, what are you offering for a fee that they can't already get for free?
Lowers are cheap. I will be selling them at current prices, the same with all the parts. Probably slightly lower than they can get them in most cases. I will make a modest profit on the parts and a good profit on my time for the class. Added together it makes a wonderful profit.

What they get. Quite simply competence, not having to do tons of research themselves, having parts that all go together and function, a one day build.
Many people have more money than time. Many people want to be able to say they built it themselves. I will also have custom engraving, custom colors and builds that you cannot buy off the shelf at all or certainly not at the price.

I fully admit it is not going to be 100 rifles a month. But somewhere between 8-20 a month is very doable. At 20 a month I would have more income than I have now. Not that my income is great now, but I am surviving. Between that and Amazon, I would be doing quite well and have 2 income streams.

Time will tell, but I think it is doable.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Denis

Post by Denis »

Precision wrote:Time will tell, but I think it is doable.
I hope you're right, and that you sell a boatload!
Precision

Post by Precision »

Denis wrote:
Precision wrote:Time will tell, but I think it is doable.
I hope you're right, and that you sell a boatload!
a small boat, but yes. Thanks
randy

Post by randy »

If you were in my area, assuming I had the scratch, I'd love to have Darlin' Daughter participate in something like this.

I think it would be a much more valuable experience than just giving her a rifle or helping her pick one out at the Local MOD.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Precision

Post by Precision »

randy wrote:If you were in my area, assuming I had the scratch, I'd love to have Darlin' Daughter participate in something like this.

I think it would be a much more valuable experience than just giving her a rifle or helping her pick one out at the Local MOD.
And that make you fine Sir, my target market.

If you bring your own lower and decide to take a vacation in the area, we can make it happen. Assuming I get the FFL et al. With your won lower, no cross state gun sales...
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I like coffee and conversation. Anyone in my area that would like to build their own AR is more then welcome to come over.
Just bring your stripped lower.
If doing classes for money, I would contact ATF in your area.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.