help me to understand a custom rifle build (updated 11/18)

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Precision

Re: help me to understand a custom rifle build (updated 11/18)

Post by Precision »

I have been. My only problem with 6mmbr is they don't update the articles that are often 5+ years old regarding availability / prices, but they do usually have a date, so ... picking a pretty small nit.

One reason I bought the nylon brushes. That is a suggestion for removing the carbon. I am also planning on getting some carbon remover (chemical) when I pick up the gun.

In a few days the bullets will be here and probably about a week before Christmas, I will have the gun.

Any good links for BR prep 101.

Any suggestions for neck turning equipment?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Look around benchrest central, youll learn alot there.

Neckturning? I used to say Nielsens "pumpkin", but they're no longer available. Between Sinclair and K&M, I think the K&M is the better value. Can't comment on the 21st century stuff, like their "lathe"
Last edited by HTRN on Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Precision

Post by Precision »

I went with the K&M set up. I got a few of their other bits. Now just have to wait for the gun to show up, then the fun can start.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I think you are underglassed for that rifle. I have a Vortex on a rifle and I love it, but I think a Swaro or a NF are the kind of territory you need to be looking in.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Hmm, something like a nightforce 12-42 BR scope qould make more sense, as this is a true competition rifle, rather than his jack of all trades custom he initially wanted to build..

At this rate, I'll having him leasing a Prometheus 2 scale before the year is out.. :ugeek: :mrgreen: :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Precision

Post by Precision »

most of my kit came in. Now I just have to get the actual GUN. HMMM before Christmas which approaches quickly...
BDK

Post by BDK »

For what its worth, in the long, long ago in the lab, we used some manner of plastic boats (might have been teflon), and some irritatingly precise analytical scales.

Might work well for weighing charges. I don't think powder is going to stick a boat, and it might be simpler to weigh the charges into boats, then put them into the brass.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

BDK wrote:For what its worth, in the long, long ago in the lab, we used some manner of plastic boats (might have been teflon), and some irritatingly precise analytical scales.

Might work well for weighing charges. I don't think powder is going to stick a boat, and it might be simpler to weigh the charges into boats, then put them into the brass.
Thats basically how its done in br.

Get initial charge from something like a rcbs charge master, dispensing into a brass pan.
Move said pan to high precision electronic scale, and trickle the last few kernals in, until it hits charge weight.

You dont want to use plastic pans because of static issues.

The hot setup is a analytic scale from somebody like Sartorius, but your talking four figures for the scale. The one i want, for example, is over 1300 dollars on amazon.