Car vault for pistol

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Rich Jordan

Car vault for pistol

Post by Rich Jordan »

I'm thinking about installing a lockbox in the car for when I have to leave the CC pistol. Lots of places around here like that... I'm not set on a key lock vs combination or biometric (though the latter in a car is concerning). Either inside the console or under the driver's seat, and bolted in in some fashion. I can't use one that requires getting out of the vehicle to access.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Current car is a 2002 Jeep Liberty.
Netpackrat

Re: Car vault for pistol

Post by Netpackrat »

Tuffy doesn't appear to make anything specific to your vehicle, but it may be possible to mount one of their generic lock boxes.

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/default.aspx

If you buy one of their boxes, I recommend swapping out the key lock for the combination unit, on the theory that it should be less vulnerable to a roadside fishing expedition by law enforcement. The 4th amendment being more effective when it is backed up by the 5th, etc.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Kind of pricey compared to the various vaults/lockers at Cabelas, but I presume they are better built

Good thought on the combination lock. I'm also definitely going to have something bolted down rather than just cabled in.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

My brother was looking into something similar for his car, a first Generation VW Scirocco, and had settled on one of the taller .50 cal ammo boxes, but then he couldn't figure out where to put it in such a small car.
A small enough Combo lock could work on those two piece L-shaped ammo box locks so long as it wasn't TSA compliant.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy