$99 .22 Suppressor

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Darrell

$99 .22 Suppressor

Post by Darrell »

No, it's not an oil filter! TFB had a post about the Rebel Silencer SOS 22 suppressor a day or two ago, here's their website:

http://rebelsilencers.com/

They're advertising the suppressor for all of 99 dollars, they claim 39-41 db reduction. There are several vids linked at the site. Whatcha think?

Looking at the youtube pages, looks like they have or are working on a 5.56 version as well. Dang, it's about time someone had a suppressor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. That's tempting, though I don't have anything I could put it on, at least without some work. Still, tempting.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
PawPaw

Re: $99 .22 Suppressor

Post by PawPaw »

Well, good. With the $200 tax, that is $299.00 for the suppressor.

I can't think of a single suppressor that's worth more than $99.00 out the door, and the tax is a joke.

Really, guys, I can't get around the idea of suppressors. Not in this country, not at this time.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Yeah, I kinda agree with you, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. And I can't think of anything that I normally do, shooting-wise, that a suppressor would improve on.

Guess that makes me a Fudd, doesn't it?
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

I think this is great. I've spent a lot more on items I use less.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Jered

Post by Jered »

PawPaw wrote:Well, good. With the $200 tax, that is $299.00 for the suppressor.
And whenever the ATF gets around to approving your stamp. :roll:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Noise from ranges is one of the most commonly used attack vectors by municipalities and neighbors (especially those who moved in after the range was already there). Being able to freely (at the gun owners choice) diminish the report of their firearms is a fine thing. Suppressors should be sold in clamshell packs on hooks next to the pocket knives at Walmart, True Value, and other fine stores.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

PawPaw wrote:Well, good. With the $200 tax, that is $299.00 for the suppressor.

I can't think of a single suppressor that's worth more than $99.00 out the door, and the tax is a joke.

Really, guys, I can't get around the idea of suppressors. Not in this country, not at this time.
The issue is that because of the government-imposed barrier to entry, rather than have disposable $50-100 suppressors, they have to be made out of inconel and other exotic metals so they last a lifetime of use. The market has simply responded to government interference.

My suppressors have proven to be very useful. The biggest advantage is the ability to dispatch one of our animals quickly and humanly without disturbing the neighbors. The second has been to plink with the pistols or sit in the hunting blind with our 300 BLK rifles waiting for hogs to come in without wearing ear plugs and electronic ear muffs all the time. Having muffs on your head in the middle of the summer heat is a real pain, and as someone with glasses, having muffs on for long periods of time makes the glasses dig into my head and becomes very uncomfortable. Just the convenience and muzzle blast/sound attenuation makes me want a dedicated .22 rimfire and 12 gauge suppressors as well. It's also been beneficial in introducing my youngest BIL to centerfire handgun calibers without him developing a flinch. My wife enjoys shooting the Blackout AR and wants to use it to go deer hunting now. All in all, it's been money well spent in my book, even if I did have to give an extra $400 to the government (those thieving bastards.)
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I can put a pair of earmuffs on my head, and protect my hearing. I can put a silencer on the end of my gun, and protect everybody's hearing. And they have been a lot of fun, so far.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

First Shirt wrote:Yeah, I kinda agree with you, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. And I can't think of anything that I normally do, shooting-wise, that a suppressor would improve on.
Proper cans are a big help if you want to cull a few deer out of a herd, without spooking the others. That makes a big difference when getting within shooting distance of the herd might have been a day's hard walking up hill and down glen in Scotland, or up and up an Alp in Bavaria or Austria. Not being deafened by your own shots is a nice side-effect, too.

I do think it's silly that you 'Muricans have to pay suppressor tax. Still, where I live, they're actually forbidden, so I suppose you're ahead on points.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Denis wrote:
First Shirt wrote:Yeah, I kinda agree with you, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. And I can't think of anything that I normally do, shooting-wise, that a suppressor would improve on.
Proper cans are a big help if you want to cull a few deer out of a herd, without spooking the others. That makes a big difference when getting within shooting distance of the herd might have been a day's hard walking up hill and down glen in Scotland, or up and up an Alp in Bavaria or Austria. Not being deafened by your own shots is a nice side-effect, too.

I do think it's silly that you 'Muricans have to pay suppressor tax. Still, where I live, they're actually forbidden, so I suppose you're ahead on points.
They're forbidden in many places in the US (like NJ for instance). AFAIK the rule in NJ for any NFA item is that the police chief needs to sign off that you having it is "in the best interests of the public" or some horseshit like that.