New type of gun safety

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Combat Controller
Site Admin

New type of gun safety

Post by Combat Controller »

First invention on the link. It's well thought out seems to me. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANz9SMHqFxs
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
BobbyK

Re: New type of gun safety

Post by BobbyK »

I want one for vulnerability testing.
Rich

Post by Rich »

I like #4. About every three months I need to reconfigure my outlets.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Solution in search of a problem, IMHO.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I have to disagree D5CAV, I think it makes a lot of sense in certain instances. As we saw in multiple youtube videos, most of the "handgun safes" on the market are cheap crap, and easily defeated. I have my Glock in my upper dresser drawer with light and suppressor attached for home defense. I've been trying to find a method to secure it, without buying a long gun safe for the bedroom, or an expensive piece of furniture with a large enough drawer and a locking feature built in designed for home defense quick access. They're out there, but they are a pretty penny. This would allow me to secure the gun from unauthorized use, but allow me or my wife quick access.

The indiegogo price for the basic lock is $95. It looks like I get to be y'alls guinea pig! They are supposed to ship in Feb of 2017, so I will revive this thread when it arrives.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zore ... storage--2#/
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

I'm impressed. I was skeptical of the combo lock when I saw this on a blog recently, but this video makes it look pretty simple. I can live without the connectivity.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Termite

Post by Termite »

Rather interesting............... :geek:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Denis

Post by Denis »

The mechanical locking mechanism appears to be an expanding plug or mandrel that fits in the chamber of the gun, which is why the locks are calibre-specific. They say something about polymer in the video, so the expanding part is probably coated in rubber or plastic to avoid scratching the chamber.

I wonder how hard something like that can be to dislodge or defeat? They probably make the connecting arm part so it will break off if too much leverage is applied to it (push the external lock body against a tabletop), so you'd be left with a rubber-coated plug in the chamber. I'm thinking a short, stout brass rod down the muzzle and a couple of taps with a mallet will have the gun unlocked pretty fast...* though that won't defeat the motion detection feature.

I think testing to destruction is in order. For under 100 bucks, it might be worth it just for fun. Definitely looking forward to hearing JustinR's impressions when he gets one.

* IIRC, one of the "smart" gun lock outfits that is constantly trying to get their product made mandatory over here had a problem with a similar chamber-plug system being super easy to defeat as described. They upgraded it to a two piece unit that has a rod from the muzzle locking into the chamber plug.
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

interesting
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
BDK

Post by BDK »

I think it's more of a child safety lock than anti-theft but it might be good