Jerry cans

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Rich Jordan

Re: Jerry cans

Post by Rich Jordan »

Brief followup. I wrote the ebay seller I mentioned above who is selling the Wedco cans. They are an outlet for the manufacturer, not Wedco proper, and they're selling off the overstock; I guess since the good cans can't be manufactured anymore they are being cleared out.

I was asking if they had the diesel or water cans available but they don't; those aren't overstock. I hope Wedco is going to continue making them.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

And another followup. I tried using both surplus cans with the cheap Chinese spouts they came with to put fuel in my wife's car (a Mini Cooper). Utter disaster; they leaked at the seal, glugged horribly (no venting), and the reducing tip fell off one of them. I ended up using a funnel and poured the gas into a smaller plastic can and used that to fill the car.

I haven't tried using one of the Wedco can/spouts yet, but the Wedco spouts do NOT fit the Nato cans. From some googling I understand that the shape of the vent in the nozzle is non-standard compared to the vent tube in the NATO cans; adjustment is possible but then the spouts might not work on the Wedcos.

Based on some recommendations I bought two spouts from CTD http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZBQ1411-1.html. These are cast metal with large 1"+ rubber hoses as the 'spout', appear well made, and are vented. They fit the NATO cans just fine though I haven't tried a pour yet so the sealing and venting efficiency are still unknown. They are supposedly "European" and look like spouts sold for "Swiss" NATO cans some time ago. They're way too large for use filling an unleaded car.

However as it turns out the broken-off reducing tip from the cheap chinese spout is a nice tight fit into the end of the new spout's hose; assuming everything works, stays sealed, and is actually vented, I think it will all work out. Two POS chinese spouts become organ donors and I can use any of my cans to fill a recent car. I'll probably have to use something like Permatex to keep the reducer in the hose; an external clamp at that location could be problematic (like scratching the Mini... big no-no there).

I checked the unreduced NATO spout hose against the Challenger's fill pipe. No problem. Same with the Wedco spouts with the plastic flexi-tip removed. Unleaded restrictors are such a pain.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I noticed that the Expedition Exchange has added the following text to the descriptions for the cans they still have in stock (apparently they are date coded, and can still be sold):
We have purchased Wedco's entire inventory of pre-2009 NATO-style jerrycans. These jerrycans are date-coded on the lid to show that they were manufactured prior to the 2009 childproof requirement. Once these preban jerrycans are gone, there will be no more. Speak now or forever hold your peace.
And also the following (text modified accordingly depending on which cans) to the cans they have run out of:
All of the preban Wedco 20-Liter Water Jerrycans are now gone. There will be no more. Please don't ask us if the preban Water Jerrycans will be available again. They won't. And please don't complain to us if you disagree with the new federal law. Complain to your legislators.
What is ironic, is that even the CARB style Wedco cans got banned, because they do not have childproof lids.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Too bad you can't make things bureaucrat proof.

The ebay vendor I linked earlier still has the WM521 cans with spout available for $39.99 each shipped; these are Briggs and Stratton labeled.

My local True Value had a "Midwest Can" NATO jerry can for $35; they've never had them before. Looks like it was made by Wedco. No spout, and none available from the store.

While re-arranging the garage this weekend I made an unpleasant discovery. When I had to move the Challenger in LV to get it loaded on the truck that brought it to Ill Annoy, I put in a gallon of leaded premium. When it got here I drove it into the garage, ran it till it died, then removed the tank and drained it.

That last quart or so of leaded (sitting for 13 + years!) is still in a plastic gas can that was under a shelf in the garage. The can was sucked in like a dried up prune; the seal worked and its cold compared to when I filled it. Can't burn it in anything I've got (running) now; it will kill the cats or the o2 sensor. The last 93 octane Union 76 Leaded Premium I'll ever see, and I wish I didn't have to!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

100LL avgas is kind of expensive, but handy if you have a low use vehicle that needs leaded and/or high octane fuel.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Not till the Challenger is running again, and even then it won't need the leaded anymore.

I don't suppose someone makes a cool looking jerry can holder for musclecars ; )
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Rich Jordan wrote:Not till the Challenger is running again, and even then it won't need the leaded anymore.
Same with the MGA. I had the local performance machine shop install hardened valve seats and bronze guides, and when I assembled it I installed stellite exhaust valves. If I have any problems with it they won't be caused by this crap they are calling gasoline these days. Probably still run it on 100LL (assuming THAT is still available when I finish it) just to piss off the greenies.