Lightsaber As Survival Multitool

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Netpackrat

Re: Lightsaber As Survival Multitool

Post by Netpackrat »

About 5 minutes after lightsabers become available, some dude is going to make a mount to attach one to the bayonet lug on his blaster.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

Light-sabers are showy, but the range is too short. I'd want a Niven-style variable-sword; invisible blade except for the tiny orange ball at the tip, can be extended for dozens of meters, and can cut through anything but another variable-sword or a stasis field. You could mow a lawn with just a couple of swipes, cut down a tree and cut it into stove-wood without burning it, slice-and-dice any Sith or Jedi from beyond TK range.
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Just the old chainsword and las pistol for me, thanks.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Aesop wrote:1) My factory snark settings were designed by Ruger, not Colt: there is no half-cock position, and I can fire full-power proof loads.
2) If light saber tech existed, by now Schick and Gillette would have micro-miniaturized it and would be using it to offer a closer shave. In fact, the new Gillette Septimus would have no less than seven tiny light saber beams to shave you as smooth as a baby's butt, and to instantly micro-cauterize any nicks and cuts.
Mad Magazine hypothesized something similar with lasers more then 30 years ago
toad

Post by toad »

" I was reading a story in which a Star Wars fan in his youth figured out he could convert the alien rock cutter/sealer into the equivalent of a light saber.
He attempted to show it to a companion in the company food court/cafeteria. While attempting to pull it out of a pocket he turned it on and the switch stuck In the on position, In his subsequent attempts to get it turned off he managed to cut a table in half, a couple of serving trays, and last but not least a ceiling support column. "
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

I just want a plasma rifle i the forty megawatt range.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

I dunno, I'm happy as a clam with the disruptive force I can deliver with a .30-06 or a .45-70. If I want to start a fire I have a number of ways I can do it quickly.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I'd settle for the M41A pulse rifle.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

PawPaw wrote:I just want a plasma rifle i the forty megawatt range.
I want a Strohl Munitions Bh 209 plasma cannon.. forget racking a shotgun to scare skels away, you really can't beat the "ominous hum"
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
toad

Post by toad »

Hmmm, a device that could generate a directional high amplitude 16 Hz with some harmonics might give you a good hum. With enough Amplitude the target would lose his sphincter control. To get that high an amplitude would require a pretty big batter pack though. :?: