Flashlights on xkcd

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
slowpoke

Re: Flashlights on xkcd

Post by slowpoke »

First Shirt wrote:
PawPaw wrote:I'm still using a 2-cell Maglight. It's hard to knock a sumbitch out with some of those puny, lightweight flashlights.
I sent The Beamish Boy a 4-Dcell Maglite when he was in Kosovo. A month or so after he got it, he had the chance to call home, and the first thing he said was "I need a new flashlight." I asked why, did it get stolen?

He said, "No, I broke it."
"How the bloodyhell do you break a Maglite?"
"I hit an Albanian in the head with it. He tried to drive through a checkpoint, and when we stopped him, he pulled a knife."
"I realize Albanians tend to be hard-headed, but I can't believe you broke it."
"Well, I had to hit the silly bastard four times to make him drop the knife."

I went and got another one and sent it to him. Last I heard, he still has that one.
You could have sent it back and maglite will fix or replace it, Im sure they would love that story too.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

slowpoke wrote:The alt text is truely disturbing though. :?
But hilarious.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Been working under a sink... realize am needing a new headlamp...
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Termite

Post by Termite »

Greg wrote:I have 4-d Maglites, with LED conversions, in both cars.
If you have the single LED conversion, they are pretty decent, but nothing like this beast:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/terralux ... 0m-ex.html

You lose the focusing ability, but at 1000 lumens on high, you really don't need it.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
George guy

Post by George guy »

MarkD wrote:I have a metric boatload of cheap little LED flashlights that use 3 AAA batteries in a little holder-thingy.
I like the size of those things -- bigger than a penlight but still fits in a coat pocket, but mine always seem to have their batteries leak the moment I turn my back on them.
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

rightisright wrote:You can have your cake and eat it.
The cake is a lie! :mrgreen:

The Maglite Mag Charger is now available with NiMH and LED bulbs, at a pricey 125 bucks, but with the convienence of a holder charger combined with a 700 lumen output for 4.5 hours, or 170 Lumen for 16... I think it would be the perfect kitchen flashlight.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

George guy wrote:
MarkD wrote:I have a metric boatload of cheap little LED flashlights that use 3 AAA batteries in a little holder-thingy.
I like the size of those things -- bigger than a penlight but still fits in a coat pocket, but mine always seem to have their batteries leak the moment I turn my back on them.
I've seldom had one leak. But I pretty much h use nothing but Duracell's. In fact I've been known to get the lights on sale because the cheap batteries (which I replace anyway) are dead.

I but Duracell's at Costco and always have a bunch on hand.
toad

Post by toad »

Need a flip out bayonet for a Mag Light. A triangular spike would do. If the suspect didn't settle down after a firm admonishment, insert the spike firmly in his 'ear, with a twist of lemon. :twisted:
Greg

Post by Greg »

Termite wrote:
Greg wrote:I have 4-d Maglites, with LED conversions, in both cars.
If you have the single LED conversion, they are pretty decent, but nothing like this beast:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/terralux ... 0m-ex.html

You lose the focusing ability, but at 1000 lumens on high, you really don't need it.
My LED conversion units in those lights are old, they're probably no more than 200 lumens. But the focusing ability is very nice it's one of a Maglite's best features.

I don't really like very floody lights. I have two XML2 emitter lights that each put out something like 900 (real out the front, 1100 emitter) lumens. One is a P60, the other is a C8 host. I find the XML in a P60 irritatingly floody. It'll light up a room for sure, but even with all that light the back corners of a big room will be obscure.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr