off the deep end: into electric bikes and batteries

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
toad

Re: off the deep end: into electric bikes and batteries

Post by toad »

Well I suppose you could tow a wheel barrel backwards. Maybe train a trunk monkey to operate the gun.
"Damn it Cheetah! That was a police car."
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

oh my... I think I'm in love. Fat tire Jeepin'

Bare frame can be had for $485. First iteration had a 7000W motor and 50mph. I heard it said you can melt those fat tires with friction between tube and tire if you run too long above 20mph.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Yeah they do need to make that box curved. Reminds me of some of the original motorcycles.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Yep, only design beef I have with it. Though it's a form follows function issue and I can live with that. Maybe some ammo can or jerry can graphics would help.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

<necro-posting>

Got the e-grin back on my face. Was back on e-bike for a quick 1.5mi run around the 'hood after work today.

First time since my unexpected hospital stay 05FEB. Balance seems to be fine, running out of excuses to start back to my ride to work.

Here she is with some changes made since my original post last fall.
IMG_20151227_170414965.jpg
The Mr Bean handlebars were a great addition. Closer to the width of my shoulders and the hands position is more natural that the original straight pipe MTB bars.

That basket comes off with a spring latch. I only use it on some weekend/evening store runs. Regular commute I used a grocery sized open top detachable pannier to carry my laptop and lunch.

The seatpost is a Suntour suspension unit. Spendy and worth every dime. Thank goodness for E-bay. Scored from German shop for almost 50% les$$ than available anywhere in the States. Without it the aluminum frame would really bust my tail riding over cracks in poorly maintained commute route.

Better rear rack added. My grocery bag pannier gets heavy on the commute and the cheapy old rack would let the bag rotate into my spokes (wore a hold in my bag).

Hardwired in lights. Probably should fuse the supply line now that I think about it. I think you might be able to weld with that headlight. The tail light has 5 LEDs, Not as bright as I'd like. It's off a scooter. Seems to handle the 48Vdc source fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Here's a (not very good) closeup of that suspension seat post.

Nifty roller cam sort of arrangement to compress the center piston. There's tension screw at the bottom of the seat post you can fiddle with if you take the seat post out.
IMG_20151227_170425316[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BDK

Post by BDK »

That "Jeepin" bike is quite cool!

Any suggestions on where to buy that seat suspension component?

The SO is a fan of bicycles, and I'm supposed to do as much as possible to reduce my stress levels - I'm think riding a bicycle may help.

I'm getting to the age where one has more than one doctor, and I never have enjoyed driving, unless on a track.
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

That is one thing I always disliked about bicycles. The way the seat beats you to death. The last time I rode a bicycle was before they were putting any suspension on them.

I would always just stand up and let my legs absorb the shock but my knees would not appreciate that nowadays.