School me on ponchos

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Weetabix

School me on ponchos

Post by Weetabix »

I like ponchos. They throw over bodies and gear easily. You can rig them for shelter. But I've had bad luck buying them. The current one I have doesn't really repel so much as conduct water.

I'd like something that's:
- larger rather than smaller
- lighter rather than heavier
- relatively packable
- durable
- has grommets/snaps that you can run cord through.
- green or gray as opposed to camo (this isn't a deal breaker)

You hear about military ponchos all the time, but I've not found a good source for one. My current one is "milstyle" or whatever. Never again.

Fire away. (with links, if you please)
Last edited by Weetabix on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Aesop

Re: School me on ponchos

Post by Aesop »

This one.

Actual surplus. $55.
Get over the woodland camo.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Srsly? A link to a sold out item? :lol:

I'll try googling, but I don't seem to have much luck getting to genuine.

And, I just remembered - there's a guy down the street with a hole in the wall shop with military memorabilia. Sometimes he has stuff like this.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I like the Frogg Toggs products. That said, I also have an Alpenflage Swiss Surplus that is very good.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Hey, I was looking at the description, not doing a stock check. :P
Serves me right for not waiting for all the BS on the page to finish loading.

So try this one.
Or this one.
Or this one.

So go find one. Now that you've got your license, your mom and I can't be taking you shopping all the time.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Weetabix wrote:I like ponchos.
I was always more of Jon Baker fan. :ugeek: :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

HTRN wrote:
Weetabix wrote:I like ponchos.
I was always more of Jon Baker fan. :ugeek: :mrgreen:
I saw a parody commercial recently for those two. It kept introducing "Ponch... and the blonde guy!" followed by clips of Jon introducing himself. Can't find it or I'd link it.

I was hoping you were linking me to some new corn chip shaped like a poncho ala Bugles. 8-)
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Aesop wrote:Hey, I was looking at the description, not doing a stock check. :P
Serves me right for not waiting for all the BS on the page to finish loading.

So try this one.
Or this one.
Or this one.

So go find one. Now that you've got your license, your mom and I can't be taking you shopping all the time.
There's a couple of stores in Omaha (part of a two-store chain) that carry tons of good quality surplus stuff. They are one of the very few things I miss about Omaha.

So, I saw that link, and thought "Holy sh!t!!! Canfields has gone all modern and stuff!"

Turns out that it's a link to a store in Fort Worth, f-in' Texas! Now, I haz a sad!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Understand that a US surplus poncho of a certain vintage may have a very, very particular smell. Like a sour milk or vomit smell. At least, my issued ones did.
randy

Post by randy »

First Shirt wrote:So, I saw that link, and thought "Holy sh!t!!! Canfields has gone all modern and stuff!"
Oh lord does that bring back memories of way too much time and money spent.

My flight bag may have contained a few "issue" items that weren't issued as a result.

One of the places that was a mandatory stop with my Dad whenever he came to town.

Back on topic, one of the best nights sleep I can remember was the last night in the woods at SERE under a poncho shelter falling asleep listening to the rain. (sure exhaustion may have had something to do with it ;) ).

And no, you can't have my (OD green) one.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".