School me on ponchos

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
skb12172

Re: School me on ponchos

Post by skb12172 »

Has anyone ever made a poncho from a wool surplus blanket? There are some good YouTube instructional videos and surplus wool blankets can be found cheap.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Steamforger wrote:Understand that a US surplus poncho of a certain vintage may have a very, very particular smell. Like a sour milk or vomit smell. At least, my issued ones did.
They arrived today. My daughter said (and I quote), "It smells like you shat yourself. 500 times. Can we burn them?"
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Let 'em air out. If you can find a big enough container, put them in it, loosely, and put an old-fashioned glass full of ammonia in it. Give 'em about a week, and see it that helps.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Denis

Post by Denis »

skb12172 wrote:Has anyone ever made a poncho from a wool surplus blanket? There are some good YouTube instructional videos and surplus wool blankets can be found cheap.
I was thinking about doing just that. I found a source of Czech army surplus wool blankets in "servicable" (read ratty) condition. I reckon cutting and stitching a few would be worth a try.

Just to add that my Swiss alpenflage poncho did sterlling work at the weekend. It kept me dry and comfortable on a windy, misty, rainy shoot from a hide with a broken roof. The roe doe I shot never even saw me. There should be a Swiss poncho in every rucksack.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

First Shirt wrote:Let 'em air out. If you can find a big enough container, put them in it, loosely, and put an old-fashioned glass full of ammonia in it. Give 'em about a week, and see it that helps.
I should just string them up in the basement for a while, I think.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Why not outside? Fresh air and sunshine are the best deodorizer and disinfectant.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

skb12172 wrote:Why not outside? Fresh air and sunshine are the best deodorizer and disinfectant.
We're entering the cold, rainy, cloudy season. They'd never get sun or dry.
Jered

Post by Jered »

one of these?

You should get the mess kit that turns into a still, too.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Found on Reddit tonight. Simply titled "Woobie is life, Woobie is love."
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

I keep a poncho liner on my bed to cover my shoulders on cold nights.

The dogs like it too.
Lacy camo sm.jpg
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD