Earpro

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
AndytheAxe
Case Shiner

Earpro

Postby AndytheAxe » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:15 pm

I have a birthday coming up, and I've decided to ask for something better than the basic Dick's mufflers I've had since I got into shooting. Any recommendations? Price range I'm thinking 50-100. I see a lot on Amazon but I don't know what to look for as good features vs marketing.
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)

Erik
Active Shooter

Re: Earpro

Postby Erik » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:20 pm

My recommendation would be electronic muffs that are waterproof. MSA Sordin or Peltor are popular here and I've never heard a bad word about either. (The ones that aren't waterproof can fail when it rains a lot.)
However, both are probably out of your pricerange, even though I think they are worth the price. Mine has lasted 8 years so far, even though I use them a lot I only need to switch batteries ones a year or so. I've also changed the sealing rings once to gel. I put them on when I get to the range and can keep them on all day, and still talk to others without raising my voice. When I need to focus I just turn them off.

Earpro has earplug kits that you mold to your own ears, and can be outfitted with a filter to make it possible to talk while having them on. I havent tried them, but the people that I've seen use them really like them. They're probably not the best thing for a very noisy range with a lot of high caliber fire though.

The Surefire ear defenders by Earpro has gotten some mixed reviews. It seems it really depends on the person if they like them or not, they just dont seem to fit some people, they get uncomfortable with them, and they tend to fall out. Other people say they fit great and are perfect for them.

My recommendation would be to stick with a cheap decent ear muffs until you can justify the expense of a MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X or Peltor electronic muffs. YMMV
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne

Weetabix
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Weetabix » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:38 pm

I just bought a pair of Howard Leight muffs on a friend's recommendation. Haven't shot with them yet, but I've played with them.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

Aesop

Postby Aesop » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:50 pm

Try the 3M Peltor Tactical 100s.
Run on 2 AAAs, have an accessory jack for phone/mp3/radio, shut off at anything over 82dB, and they perform better against high frequency than low frequency (17dB attenuation at the low end vs. 40+ at the high end), which is perfect for gunshots.
Two external mikes, so you can use them afield as well as at the range.

$62 on Amazon, $79.99 off the rack at WallyWorld.

Bought 'em. Love 'em.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:13 pm

Aesop wrote:Try the 3M Peltor Tactical 100s.
Run on 2 AAAs, have an accessory jack for phone/mp3/radio, shut off at anything over 82dB, and they perform better against high frequency than low frequency (17dB attenuation at the low end vs. 40+ at the high end), which is perfect for gunshots.
Two external mikes, so you can use them afield as well as at the range.

$62 on Amazon, $79.99 off the rack at WallyWorld.

Bought 'em. Love 'em.

Those look better than the Peltors I have. Mine are great except for changing the batteries sucks... You have to pop the cushion out of the cup to get at them, because there is no access panel. The only other thing about them, is they are pretty much only good for the range. I tried to wear them at work once when I first got them, and it turns out, they amplify the sound of the 747 air conditioning pack. Not good.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:28 am

I wonder how they work? They state a couple of times:

*Please note this is not a noise cancelling hearing protector.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

AndytheAxe
Case Shiner

Postby AndytheAxe » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:58 am

Cool, thanks :) I've added the peltor 100s to the list, and I can use the Howard Leights as a backup if the peltors are too pricy
Last edited by AndytheAxe on Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)

Cobar
Trigger Junkie

Postby Cobar » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:59 am

If they work like others I have seen, they work like normal muffs but have mics that transmit lower sounds like voices in to the cup so you can hear them.

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:01 am

I've been using Pro Ears Ultra 33s for years. They have 33 db reduction. Here's their website, I've seen them going for the low $30s elsewhere:

http://www.proears.com/Pro-Ears-Shootin ... n-Ultra-33
Eppur si muove--Galileo

Denis

Postby Denis » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:54 am

I really like my MSA/Sordin units - the amplification isfantastic for still hunting. However, the on/off button went bad after 7-8 years hard use, so they'll have to go in for repair. As Erik says, they're not cheap.

My interim solution was a trip to the local hearing-aid centre and two squirts of silicone goo in the ears. For about 100 EUR and ten day's wait, they made me custom non-electronic hunting earplugs, including a valve that cuts out loud noises, but passes quiet sounds through. I really like them. Sadly, no amplification, but they can be worn under a hat (important on cold days), are small and light to transport in their little case, and cost only half as much as the Sordin muffs. Recommended.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:06 pm

Denis wrote:My interim solution was a trip to the local hearing-aid centre and two squirts of silicone goo in the ears. For about 100 EUR and ten day's wait, they made me custom non-electronic hunting earplugs, including a valve that cuts out loud noises, but passes quiet sounds through. I really like them. Sadly, no amplification, but they can be worn under a hat (important on cold days), are small and light to transport in their little case, and cost only half as much as the Sordin muffs. Recommended.

My dad had a set of those, and he loved them. I should probably look into getting a set made... I have a hard time using the foamy earplugs because most of them fall out of my ears no matter what.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Denis

Postby Denis » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:01 pm

Netpackrat wrote:I should probably look into getting a set made...

Just watch out which ones you order. My hearing-aid lady had a choice between "army" and "sport" models. The former have the valve, and are good for hunting (isolated/few bangs) and outdoor use, the latter are fully sealed - so don't pass quiet sounds through - and are better for indoor ranges and a lot of bangs.

I should note, ear plugs - unlike muffs - do not protect the bones of the skull and jaw, so all let more noise/vibrations through than earmuffs. For hunting use, I can accept that compromise. For indoor and range use, I prefer earmuffs, and often even use muffs and plugs. If you want electronic earmuffs for use on an indoor range, get the very best electronics you can afford - cheap electronics deal badly with echoes, and the phantom noises they produce are most annoying, at last I find them so.

Aesop

Postby Aesop » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:53 pm

In the field, as in field artillery, plugs + muffs were the reason I had zero hearing loss when I got out.
It only took one 0.2 second "StandbyFIREBLAM!" warning call to drive that lesson home.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

AndytheAxe
Case Shiner

Postby AndytheAxe » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:18 pm

The Sordins look really nice but they're out of my price range, but they're good to know about for the the future. I do most of my shooting at a nearby indoor range, so I'm liking the idea of plugs too. Sometimes the rifle butt will push my ears up enough the squishy part loses its seal, really annoying when I'm doing that and the guy in the next lane is shooing a 12 gauge.

AndytheAxe
Case Shiner

Postby AndytheAxe » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:17 am

I got the Peltor 100s for my birthday and they are awesome :) I took them to the midatlantic blogshoot Murphy's Law does and it was nice to be able to hear people talk. They were pretty comfortable and didn't get pushed around by rifle butts. Even the .50 didn't cause any problems. Thanks for the recommendation!

JustinR
Trigger Junkie

Postby JustinR » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:48 am

I always double up with foam earplugs and a set of Howard Leigh Impact Sport earmuffs. They work really well at attenuating gunshot noise but allowing normal conversation at both outdoor and indoor ranges. They get great battery life, and don't interfere with cheek weld or hit on the stock while shooting rifles or shotguns. I have tinnitus from playing instruments so many years, so having ambient noise instead of "dead" regular earmuffs is great. I've used them regularly for 6-7 years now.

The only problem I have with them is after long periods of time, the clamping effect on my glasses starts to get uncomfortable. They make replacement ear seals, but I can't find any way to order them from the company, nor anyone that stocks them.

I'll probably try the ones Aesop recommended next and keep the HL's as backup and for my wife to use. Aesop, what kind of ear seals does that set use? Gel or foam?
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:15 am

I too picked up a set of the 3M Peltor 100s. I found them pretty much unusable, when turned on, at the indoor range. The range's exhaust system made an awful noise with the mics on. They were okay turned off, though I still had to double up with plugs.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

JAG2955
Active Shooter

Postby JAG2955 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:39 am

Around Christmas last year, Home Depot had some Peltor Tactical 100s on sale for $50. I bought two pair, so far, they're great.

Denis

Postby Denis » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:47 am

AndytheAxe wrote:I got the Peltor 100s for my birthday and they are awesome :)

Lucky you. Well wear!

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:39 pm

Darrell wrote:I too picked up a set of the 3M Peltor 100s. I found them pretty much unusable, when turned on, at the indoor range. The range's exhaust system made an awful noise with the mics on. They were okay turned off, though I still had to double up with plugs.

I got that with the Howard Leights, too.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

Durham68
Loose Cannon

Postby Durham68 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:56 pm

Got a set of Howard Leights and wear them over surefire plugs. I turn the volume all the way up so conversation gets past the plugs but shots are reduced by both muffs and plugs. I like it.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"

Return to “Gear Talk and Tech”