Camaflauge for urban environement.

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
toad

Camaflauge for urban environement.

Post by toad »

It is a puzzlement for me. I was thinking maybe something that would let one disguise as a plastic trash bag :?:
Steamforger

Re: Camaflauge for urban environement.

Post by Steamforger »

There is an old sniper-ish book that is more coffee table book than anything containing any useful instruction. It was written by a Brit, was a hardback, and had a rather low page count.

Link

Bazinga! Found it on Amazon. It has a section specifically on Urban Camaflauge and the pics used in the book made it look pretty damned effective. IIRC, he used a large bed sheet as a poncho and painted it in geometric patterns in common greys, browns, and dull reds. This obviously worked better in more "Rubble-y" environments, but I'd think as long as your colors stay consistent, you'd do better than you think in an urban environment that hadn't been carpet bombed.

Mind you, this is all off memory of my library still in Louisiana and I might have to edit down the road.

The attached pic is not from the book, but is similar. The optic is terribly "birdnested", but otherwise, he's hid pretty good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
toad

Post by toad »

Huh, 50 shades of gray.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Put on coveralls and a tool belt
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

You'd need to look like a pile of something, not just a big something.
Lightweight foam blocks painted to look like brick and rubble, some cardboard, plastic bags, and other flotsam, would probably fit on a poncho, tarp, etc. Also, hot glue and sand, charcoal dust, fine gravel, etc., are your friend.
It would be bulkier but no heavier than a standard ghillie suit.
And be just as inflammable. ;)

Thus the best urban camouflage is a solid brick or concrete building with multiple loophole firing points, sandbagged and timbered inside, and multiple ways to walk and crawl in and throughout, plus multiple covered and concealed (i.e. subsurface) exits. Surrounded by wire, mines, and a covering force.

Pretty much just like the manuals say.

If you're talking about simply blending in, look at any construction crew, minus the orange vest and hardhat, and you're there. Tradesmen fit in everywhere.
Bonus points for a janitorial cart for extra stuff carriage, which is getting dangerously close to Gunkid's Tactical Wheelbarrow. :roll:

For a lower interest version, homeless guy in M-65 field jacket (which at last look also comes as a bullet-resistant vest option from Pointblank, IIRC), with shopping cart full of shit, is hard to beat for its universal cachet from any city from NYFC to BFFlyoverland.
Smearing various noxious substances on things will help keep people at arm's length.
Just avoid the Rambo treatment by local law enforcement, unless you're prepared to break out of jail single-handedly, escape to the wilderness, and give them a war they won't believe.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Didn't Tom Clancy cover this in Without Remorse? Dress like a bum.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I always figured that with clean, dark jeans, a white polo shirt, a dark blue baseball cap, and a clipboard that you appear to be paying attention to, you could go just about anywhere. Add a techy-looking tool belt with a tricorder looking thing, and you're probably golden. :D
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Weetabix wrote:I always figured that with clean, dark jeans, a white polo shirt, a dark blue baseball cap, and a clipboard that you appear to be paying attention to, you could go just about anywhere. Add a techy-looking tool belt with a tricorder looking thing, and you're probably golden. :D
IIRC, that's one of the most common corporate espionage tactics.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Jericho941 wrote:
Weetabix wrote:I always figured that with clean, dark jeans, a white polo shirt, a dark blue baseball cap, and a clipboard that you appear to be paying attention to, you could go just about anywhere. Add a techy-looking tool belt with a tricorder looking thing, and you're probably golden. :D
IIRC, that's one of the most common corporate espionage tactics.
I think Ian Fleming was the first place I read about the clipboard and busy look.

For true stealth, look like a bum. The shopping cart can hold an M60!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Walk fast, look worried, and carry a clipboard. A stopwatch is just icing on the cake. Dress business casual, adjusted for the weather.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom