Mosin Nagant tool and maintenance.

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
toad

Mosin Nagant tool and maintenance.

Post by toad »

I've been looking at a lot of videos and stuff on keeping the Mosin Nagant working smoothly. Apparently a lot of the problems with a Mosin Nagant failing to feed right, bolt binding and etc., an be cured by taking it completely apart and thoroughly cleaning the ejector, interruptor, and various springs. before you start trying to adjust parts. One opinion was that instead of trying to re adjust parts it was easier to order new ones from someone . The take down tool that comes as part of the Mosin Nagant cleaning kit is quite handy for getting the rifle apart. Kind of amazing that it has only 7 parts in the fire control.
https://www.buymilsurp.com/
They also have a manual for the Mosin that has a trouble shooting guide in it.
Apparently because of all the different manufacturers of Mosin Nagants, quality and finish can vary considerably esp. during the WW II years. If you just want a shooter, a standard Nagant, given a good cleaning, may be the way to go.
skb12172

Re: Mosin Nagant tool and maintenance.

Post by skb12172 »

I have owned as many as five. I currently have two. It has been my experience that leftover cosmoline from unthorough cleaning is the root of most problems.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
MarkD

Re: Mosin Nagant tool and maintenance.

Post by MarkD »

skb12172 wrote:I have owned as many as five. I currently have two. It has been my experience that leftover cosmoline from unthorough cleaning is the root of most problems.
This.

My sticky bolt pretty much cleared up after I attacked the chamber with a bronze brush and solvent. Also, it would sometimes throw patterns instead of groups and I'd find the screws that hold the action to the stock had loosened.