Compound Bow Scope

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Vonz90

Compound Bow Scope

Post by Vonz90 »

Anyone use them for hunting and have any recommendations? After missing the fracking deer this morning I am figuring I need to change something at that seems to be a nice way of taking some of the variation out of the system.
Last edited by Vonz90 on Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cobar

Re: Compound Bow Scope

Post by Cobar »

Don't know much about bow sights, but I've been told that a lot of the variation in in bow shooting is the arrows. All the really good people I've known/heard of go to great lengths to make sure the arrows all weight, bend, and balance the same. Not sure if that even applies to modern compound bows of the arrow does not have to bend around the bow though. It might be something to look in to if you're not getting consistency.

I am no expert on bows of any sort, but I've heard it often enough that there might be some truth to it.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

No piece of gear will get your missed shot back, or take the place of practice.

Round here (Montana) NO ONE I know uses a bow scope. They use 4 point or 7 point sights
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Find myself in agreement with Yogi, which worries me more than a little bit.
The only people I've ever seen with a bow scope were shooting in 3d matches. Never knew anyone to use one for hunting.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Yogimus wrote:No piece of gear will get your missed shot back, or take the place of practice.

Round here (Montana) NO ONE I know uses a bow scope. They use 4 point or 7 point sights
This is interesting as I know a couple of people here who hunt them. One friend in particular has been harping that I should give it a try.

As for practice, I do, but I am not seeing the same results in action, thus the question changing something.

It may be a moot point though as I just found out that MO is probably going to allow crossbows next year and I may just hold off and give that a try rather that sinking money into the compound.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

I've never hunted bows, just targets/competition, FWIW.
I'd put a scope on my crossbow for hunting in a heartbeat, but with a hand-drawn bow, in a precisely zen/samurai way, the key is consistency, exactly like the perfect golf swing. That takes lots of practice, perfect practice.
Alternating practice days with strength and resistance training helped the most when I had the time for both.
With hunting, the trick would be to be so consistent in execution that a change in range or presentation wouldn't make any appreciable difference.
And match jitters play exactly the same havoc with that as buck fever does, I suspect.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Were you shooting from a different position than you normally practice? That may make a difference.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

http://www.cabelas.com/product/barnett- ... 854780.uts

Well I took the plunge and ordered one of these. I can use it during firearm season and black powder season at my place and my grandmother's place. This is good anyway since my sister sold her land so I don't really have a place to rifle hunt right now anyway.