Paracord Key Rings

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
BloodlessWeevil

Paracord Key Rings

Post by BloodlessWeevil »

A few months ago I started the process of getting rid of my metal key rings. They have always bothered me. By design, they stand perpendicular to the flat keys. Making them bulky when kept in a pocket with other things. The metal clangs against the keys and other metal objects (my wallet is metal.)

I replaced them with paracord, either loops or knotted strands. There are all kinds of alternatives to metal key rings, but I have never seen anyone use cord so I thought I would share.

Car keys: An old surfers trick. Wear car keys around your neck so they do not get washed out of your pocket and you do not need to babysit a spot on the beach. I don't surf, but it is a convenient way to carry car keys and frees up pocket space for other things. A simple over-under loop holds the keys, while a bend (I used a carrick bend if I recall correctly) and two backup knots form the larger loop.
Car Keys.jpg
Motorcycle key: Yep, you already saw this key. My spare key for the bike is with my car keys around my neck. However, I don't like to use that one regularly. It leaves the car keys blowing in the wind and I have heard horror stories about motorcycle keys being blown out of worn ignition cylinders.
Since this one is by itself, I really just wanted to make it easier to fish out of my pocket. I used a constrictor knot around the shank then ran an end on each side of the key and through the hole in the handle. From there one end is wrapped around the handle and glued (I ran it under the sections coming off the constrictor knot, but that was not enough to hold the wrapping on.) The other ends in a heaving line knot.
Bike Key.jpg
House/assorted other keys: This is really simple. A monkeys fist with the keys captured between two stopper knots. The masking tape is just there for the pictures, I'm paranoid when it comes to pictures on the internet.
Keys.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'm not in charge. I'm just goofing around." -Weetabix
Durham68

Re: Paracord Key Rings

Post by Durham68 »

I'm going to give that last one a try tonight.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Regarding the motorcycle ignition key.... while it would be a more bother to deal with it, would it not make sense to make the lanyard able to loop over something so that if it does come out of the cylinder (used to have a 79 malibu that would do that) it would not just get lost?
BDK

Post by BDK »

Perhaps tie a loop onto the bike and have a loop on the motorcycle key - easy to loop together/take apart, and quite strong (it's how I was taught to attach leaders to my fly line.)
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Tactical macramé. ;)
Eppur si muove--Galileo
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I have too many keys for that - just the keys for work is over a half dozen..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BDK

Post by BDK »

Start pushing for a key system. Either cyber vault, Medeco or US Lock, depending on the value of what you are locking.

We're going to U.S. lock. Oh, and a real locksmith can order most master lock products keyed alike as well
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

BDK wrote:Start pushing for a key system. Either cyber vault, Medeco or US Lock, depending on the value of what you are locking.
Oh, I'm familiar with Cyberlocks. We install them into our products. :mrgreen:

It's not gonna happen, because a)we're in a leased facility, and b)we're supposed to be moving to a new, company owned facility in November, that would consolidate operations.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Do what I do. Have multiple key rings. One is my house key and personal vehicles. Two is my work keys and they stay in the glove box of my primary vehicle. Three is everything else, consisting of my dad's truck and the key to my parents' house. That also stays in my glove box. CCW is in the center console when not on my person, so I don't have to fumble around one for the other.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.