Overshoe Galoshes Vs. Duck Boots/Shoes

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
skb12172

Overshoe Galoshes Vs. Duck Boots/Shoes

Post by skb12172 »

For hiking/fishing/hunting, it's a no brainer. The answer is boots, of course. I'm talking about commuting through snow, slush, etc. in an urban environment. If I wear the boots or shoes, I'm stuck with wearing them all day unless I lug an extra pair of regular shoes with me. With the old school galoshes, I just stick them in a corner to dry. I can wear dress shoes, sneakers, whatever under them. If the commute home is dryer, I can fold them up more easily than the aforementioned boots. It seems our fathers and grandfathers knew what they were doing. I just bought a pair of 10" galoshes that are going to be my foul weather commuting gear for the foreseeable future?

Any other observations? Comments? Rude remarks?

Fire Away!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
g-man

Re: Overshoe Galoshes Vs. Duck Boots/Shoes

Post by g-man »

I keep my uniform stuff here in a locker next to my desk. If you don't have that option, as little as a lower 2-drawer filing cabinet drawer that's empty can be used to store shoes and a myriad of other work-related clothing items. I ride in wearing regular or waterproof MC boots/pants/jacket depending on the weather, and just change when I get here. I guess it really depends on the bathroom or other viable changing areas as to whether or not a full swap system would work, but for just putting clean work shoes on? Shouldn't be an issue.

So I guess my answer would be duck boots / shoes with dress/work footwear that lives under/near your desk.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I generally just wear my boots all day in winter, but I work in a casual office where it's not a problem. Galoshes work OK until you get a hole in one, then you've got wet feet and the galoshes keep them from drying.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I had some overshoe galoshes when I was a kid. I never liked them, then I outgrew them.

However a job that combined a dress code and a flood-prone parking lot made me reconsider their utility. Then I couldn't find any. Where did you find them?
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
randy

Post by randy »

I've got a pair of Neos (something like their current Adventurer I think)I used when working in a corporate environment. Put them on over my work shoes for the commute in (especially in heavy rain and slush) and took them off at work and stuck them under my desk for the day. Worked great and I liked them for when full up boots were not practical. (Personally I'd wear boots every day except for that whole employer dress code thing).

These days I have issued work boots I wear whenever needed, so it's not an issue. (I keep them in the truck when not wearing them so I can change quickly when needed).

I also have my Neos in the truck in case I need something quick and don't have my boots with me, or someone with me needs protection. Need to dig them up and see if they still fit, as I think I've gone up a size since I got them 10 years or so ago.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Amazon. I went with the Honeywell brand.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Shoes for crews makes overshoes as well - we have a bunch for visitors