I just took up golf -- sorta

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Precision
Active Shooter

I just took up golf -- sorta

Postby Precision » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:59 am

A few months back, the wife and I were down in South Florida. She decided to take me on a tour of her old stomping grounds while we were in town. We had wine at a wine shop, had some cheese at a cheese shop... then for giggles we decided to test the theory on how much great stuff gets donated to Goodwill in high end neighborhoods.

We went to the Weston Goodwill. It is maybe a mile from the Polo fields.

That is where my wife found a treasure that ensured that I HAD to take up golf.

golf case.jpg

This golf case was only $12.99
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/

Precision
Active Shooter

Re: I just took up golf -- sorta

Postby Precision » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:02 am

It sat for a while as I needed to gather additional supplies. I mean a case is nice, but you need some clubs to actually play the game.

So first, I will show you the putter I got for it.

putter.jpg

I think it looks good in there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

Precision
Active Shooter

Postby Precision » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:13 am

Obviously, you can't just putt. So I put a synthetic driver in as well.

putter and driver.jpg

I need to work on replacing the locks. SKB might do that for me. The company that makes the case. I need to call them and see about pricing and type to see if I can make it TSA approved. :D

But for $12.99 plus about $65 worth of foam and $11 worth of spray adhesive, I think I have a pretty nice redneck double gun case.

I found a second one that is much deeper and I am going to set it up to hold 2 AR's in the vertical position with 30 round mags in place. I had to buy a bit more foam or I would be posting double pics right now.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:15 am

Apropos of absolutely nothing, golf balls make great targets out to 50-75 meters with the right .22. If you can hit a golf ball at 50, a squirrel head at 25 is a gimme.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:27 am

You don't want the TSA locks... Nobody but the passenger is supposed to have the key to a gun case in checked baggage. In addition to its regular latches, my SKB rifle case has steel tabs so you can use a pair of regular padlocks.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:08 am

Netpackrat wrote:You don't want the TSA locks... Nobody but the passenger is supposed to have the key to a gun case in checked baggage. In addition to its regular latches, my SKB rifle case has steel tabs so you can use a pair of regular padlocks.

Go to Home Despot and buy a set of 4 beefy locks that all take the same key. This will be more secure, will fall into lines with what is required of you legally, and is a lot easier than playing whack-a-mole at check in looking for the right key to the right lock.

Denis
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Denis » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:32 am

Excellent. Now you have to take up sporting clays - it's golf with a shotgun!

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:16 pm

Steamforger wrote:Go to Home Despot and buy a set of 4 beefy locks that all take the same key. This will be more secure, will fall into lines with what is required of you legally, and is a lot easier than playing whack-a-mole at check in looking for the right key to the right lock.

That's what I did.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Precision
Active Shooter

Postby Precision » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:30 pm

Steamforger wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:You don't want the TSA locks... Nobody but the passenger is supposed to have the key to a gun case in checked baggage. In addition to its regular latches, my SKB rifle case has steel tabs so you can use a pair of regular padlocks.

Go to Home Despot and buy a set of 4 beefy locks that all take the same key. This will be more secure, will fall into lines with what is required of you legally, and is a lot easier than playing whack-a-mole at check in looking for the right key to the right lock.

Assuming they fit, I was going to get these.

http://store.skbcases.com/large-tsa-kit-for-3i-series/

But what I hear you saying is to get these instead?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_89226-89973-3707___?productId=3046492&pl=1&Ntt=hasp

or even better, something like this with a steel backer?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_308999-46882-33035ZCXLG___?productId=3353296&pl=1&Ntt=hasp

with a set of these?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_310430-382-M115XQLF___?productId=3056617&pl=1&Ntt=padlocks

Aesop
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Aesop » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:06 am

Nice clubs.

Presumably you have a sheet of foam or somesuch to go between the two, to keep them from impacting each other?
A custom cut and sewn sheet of moving blanket works well too.

And be sure and put a couple of TopFlite, Calloway, etc. stickers on the outside, for camouflage.
For guitar/instrument cases, a couple of instrument maker/rock band stickers accomplishes the same thing. I hear. 8-)
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

BDK
Trigger Junkie

Postby BDK » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:00 pm

FYI, caddy daddy makes an "over bag" which would hold 3 dosko rifle cases plus lots of ammo, and has wheels.

It wouldn't work for flying, but it's a very innocuous way to carry guns around in a neighborhood you would prefer folks think you a golfer rather than a shooter

Precision
Active Shooter

Postby Precision » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:14 pm

Aesop wrote:Nice clubs.

Presumably you have a sheet of foam or somesuch to go between the two, to keep them from impacting each other?
A custom cut and sewn sheet of moving blanket works well too.

And be sure and put a couple of TopFlite, Calloway, etc. stickers on the outside, for camouflage.
For guitar/instrument cases, a couple of instrument maker/rock band stickers accomplishes the same thing. I hear. 8-)

Yes a 2" thick piece of the white foam is glued under the cut away black foam on each layer. No contact at all.

good thought on the stickers.

Durham68
Loose Cannon

Postby Durham68 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:30 pm

I wonder if a baggage handler is more likely to steal guns or golf clubs. When my LGS was not getting much help from UPS on a missing package that contained a pistol, the threat of ATF involvement turned it up real fast.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"

Cybrludite
Active Shooter

Postby Cybrludite » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:45 am

Aesop wrote:For guitar/instrument cases, a couple of instrument maker/rock band stickers accomplishes the same thing. I hear. 8-)

I do that with both the converted bass guitar case & my regular rifle case. Avoids freakouts on the part of mundanes while checking into a hotel.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:56 pm

I was going to take a picture of the tabs on my SKB case but I keep forgetting. My brother thinks you can order them from SKB if your case didn't come with them.

Return to “Gear Talk and Tech”