Magazine holders, belt or paddle

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Rich Jordan

Magazine holders, belt or paddle

Post by Rich Jordan »

Finally getting off my butt to get some training. I completed the ill-annoy CCL training requirements (but not the application) and I'm looking at some other options for handgun training that have become reasonably available without driving for hours (or flying) since CCW finally came to illinois. So far all of them require the ability to have two extra magazines 'on the belt'. Also a strong-side outside the belt holster (so not directly applicable to CCW but I'll dry practice with whatever I choose a lot more once it is chosen)

Any recommendations by manufacturer or type? I have not yet decided which pistol to use so not certain yet on the magazine type...

P.S. Illinois CCW is pretty sad, though it is shall issue. The shitcago crooks put so many sneaky and dangerous restrictions and prohibitions in it that, while its still useful you can get yourself into deep "never own firearms again" caca in an instant of not even carelessness, but failing rigid application of anal level caution in daily activities. Hence my delaying the actual application till I've actually done more study and reading up on the legal info that is becoming available.

One sad, funny, totally ill-annoy shitcago thing from training. You have to shoot 30 rounds at a silhouette target to qualify. 10 rounds at each of 15, 21, and 30 feet, and you have to get 21 rounds into the 7-ring area. We were told, for those of you with recent practice, to not shoot too accurately. The regs require counting individual bullet holes. If you blow the center out of the target and the instructor can't count the discrete holes... you fail. So make sure you aim all over the target... sigh. That was surprisingly difficult for me to do.
PawPaw

Re: Magazine holders, belt or paddle

Post by PawPaw »

Belt is best, paddle if you must, but I normally just stick extras in my offside back pocket.

Ill-annoy scorers have never heard of NRA scoring? That's just insane.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

For additional training, are there any USPSA or IDPA clubs near where you live? Competition can be some of the best training you can get. Match fees are usually pretty reasonable, and it's loads of fun.

For mag holders, I would agree with PawPaw.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I've got a nylon Schrade folder pouch that very nicely fits one spare mag for the 1911 de jure and it rides on the belt just aft of the right hipbone. With it, one in the gun, and one in the console of the truck, I *think* I'm pretty much set.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

PawPaw wrote:Belt is best, paddle if you must, but I normally just stick extras in my offside back pocket.

Ill-annoy scorers have never heard of NRA scoring? That's just insane.
I'll find out if the trainers will be ok with that. The descriptions are kind of finicky but maybe it won't be a problem.

And I imagine NRA scoring was discussed, the shitcago pols had convulsions, and it was changed. Reportedly there have already been administrative changes since the law was passed (so far as I can tell not based on the actual law); initially you had to get 70% hits in the entire silhouette, now its within the 7-ring.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Captain Wheelgun wrote:For additional training, are there any USPSA or IDPA clubs near where you live? Competition can be some of the best training you can get. Match fees are usually pretty reasonable, and it's loads of fun.

For mag holders, I would agree with PawPaw.
There have been a couple of IDPA orgs going for about 5 years. So far all the weeknight ones are either too far or start too early based on my work hours. I need to find out about weekends. The CCL class instructor also strongly recommended IPSC/IDPA shoots for training.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

First Shirt wrote:I've got a nylon Schrade folder pouch that very nicely fits one spare mag for the 1911 de jure and it rides on the belt just aft of the right hipbone. With it, one in the gun, and one in the console of the truck, I *think* I'm pretty much set.
Thanks. This isn't for carry (yet), it was for the training requirements; I'm going to confirm they really need that before buying anything, but just looking for recommendations. And now also perhaps for IDPA style competition as training... Actual carry... I'm still debating the pistol(s) and method(s). That has to be done first. Mag carry method isn't even vapor yet.

Thanks all.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Rich Jordan wrote:Thanks. This isn't for carry (yet), it was for the training requirements; I'm going to confirm they really need that before buying anything, but just looking for recommendations. And now also perhaps for IDPA style competition as training... Actual carry... I'm still debating the pistol(s) and method(s). That has to be done first. Mag carry method isn't even vapor yet.
I question your priorities. Carry gear comes first, last and always. More training is good and you should get some, but the first order of business is and should always be self defense. Also, if your carry gear is somehow not appropriate to train with, then maybe reexamine either the carry gear or the training.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Netpackrat wrote:
Rich Jordan wrote:Thanks. This isn't for carry (yet), it was for the training requirements; I'm going to confirm they really need that before buying anything, but just looking for recommendations. And now also perhaps for IDPA style competition as training... Actual carry... I'm still debating the pistol(s) and method(s). That has to be done first. Mag carry method isn't even vapor yet.
I question your priorities. Carry gear comes first, last and always. More training is good and you should get some, but the first order of business is and should always be self defense. Also, if your carry gear is somehow not appropriate to train with, then maybe reexamine either the carry gear or the training.
I was specifically referring to magazine carry in that statement. That will depend on the pistol which (may) depend on environmentals and clothing. There are irreducible legal issues here due to living in crook county, and clothing requirements, transfer between carry legal and only unloaded/cased legal, etc. Plus my own physical shape/size issues.

If I had free choice I might carry a .45ACP service pistol, but with the (admittedly few) holster options I've tried so far I can't conceal one with work-acceptable clothing. I have smaller alternatives including a P-32 (which has been reliable unlike the experiences others here have had). Totally different pistol and magazine carry options than even a mid-size would have; its pocketable and easily concealable even with summer clothes.

I may end up wanting to buy another pistol as the primary carry gun; the ones I have (other than the P-32) were purchased because I liked or wanted them for other reasons.

I'm at the start of this path and have a lot of things to work out (which is part of the reason I'm delaying actually doing the application).

I contacted the nearest IDPA folks to get more info on their shooting events; I don't know if they allow concealment holsters or not yet.

The training that brought this question up had some plusses; its at the same place (nice range), same folks as the CCL training, and the instructor is a good guy with a pretty good rep, so far as I've found. I'm not set on taking it, but its an option unless better ones turn up.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I understand all of that; I just don't want anything to happen and you not be able to defend yourself because you delayed applying for your permit, and carrying *something* (even if not ideal) until everything was perfect in your mind. If a P-32 is what you will have that will work for the time being, that is what you carry while working towards something better. When my P3AT recently went on the fritz, I didn't just do without; I carried my next best choice until I found a more permanent replacement suitable for times when I can't realistically carry the 10mm.

I realize that having gone without for so long, it may not seem like there is a big rush to get it done, but criminal attack isn't something that happens according to the victim's convenience. I'm not trying to be preachy or a pain in the ass... I just want to avoid the following thread here in the future:

"Hey, remember that guy Rich who used to post here? Whatever happened to him?"

"Dunno man, it's like he dropped off the face of the earth!"

"Rich who?"
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop