Magazine holders, belt or paddle

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Weetabix

Re: Magazine holders, belt or paddle

Post by Weetabix »

Chiming in late...

I carry a Keltec PF9. Even with the small magazine, I don't like PawPaw/NPR carry because I really don't like sitting on things in my back pocket. Just personal preference.

I carry my spare mag in a Safariland 123 Horizontal mag holder. Being horizontal, it doesn't poke me, and it hides better. It looks like a multitool holder. The attachment to your belt is a velcro loop, that goes on and comes off easily without taking your belt off.

My holster is a Crossbreed Supertuck. I don't tuck it, but it's so comfortable, I sometimes have to check to make sure it's there. Easy in, easy out.

I've never felt very comfortable with pocket carry, even though it's always in a pocket holster. I always feel like it's printing. Maybe my thighs are too big around? I do use pocket carry with a Taurus PT 738 when I need to tuck in a shirt and my belt will be visible, but I'm always conscious of it. Maybe looser pants? My kids say my skinny jeans look odd... :lol: just kidding!
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Meh... Most people are completely oblivious about things like pocket bulges. When I first started pocket carrying the P3AT, I carried that way all day long at a wedding/reception in Idaho (I was the best man) wearing thin slacks and a light shirt in 90+ degree weather. My own wife, who of course knows that I carry, didn't even realize that I was armed until near the end of the day when she put her hand on my leg. She'd thought I'd given it up due to the heat.

Edit to add... Definitely looser pants. Pocket carry is the primary reason I switched from Carhartt blue jeans, to their work dungarees. Maybe those would stand out elsewhere, but they are normal attire for people from all walks of life here in Alaska.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

Weetabix wrote:I've never felt very comfortable with pocket carry, even though it's always in a pocket holster. I always feel like it's printing.
I'm the same way, Weet. I just can't get past it. Very rarely I'll pocket carry in an inner coat pocket but otherwise it feels way too obvious.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I've been buying uniform pants (the less tactical/cargo-looking ones) lately since its easy to get the size I need. Most of them are not baggy but are comfortably loose. Many of them have pockets inside the side pockets, or smaller externally accessible pockets for magazines or other similar items. Something to try. I also don't want to be sitting on a magazine in the back pocket unless I know very well that it won't be damaged, or cause visible damage to pants or seats. I'm used to my wallet and a comb back there.

What I tried once long ago (before CCL in illannoy was even a realistic hope) was taking a piece of stiff canvas or leather and gluing/sewing it to the skin side of the right side pocket to stiffen and strengthen it, then took a strip of stainless steel stock about 3/4" wide, maybe 3-4" long and thick enough to not bend from pocket pressure, bent it like a picture hanger __/--------\__ . Riveted and stitched it to the inside of the right pocket, parallel to the beltline.

When the P-32 had its clip attached on the left side, I could just slide it into my right pocket, pressing a little against my leg, and the clip would catch the little steel pocket hanger and snap down on the other side of it. It seemed to work ok (other than the trigger being wide open), held the pistol up above the bottom of the pocket, and seemed to hold strong enough to prevent the pistol coming unclipped when sitting down. But I have no idea how it would hold up in use; the test pants were old and soon to be discarded and I could not carry anywhere outside the house so stopped experimenting. But a pocket holster is probably a better idea...
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I have an old Samsung flip phone case I use to carry two speedloaders of .38 +P. I'd like to get a tuckable rig and a pocket holster for my 649 as well so I can carry in a variety of situations. My current one is nice for carrying under an untucked shirt, but that doesn't work so well in situations where I have to go in and out of offices.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

SoupOrMan wrote:I have an old Samsung flip phone case I use to carry two speedloaders of .38 +P. I'd like to get a tuckable rig and a pocket holster for my 649 as well so I can carry in a variety of situations. My current one is nice for carrying under an untucked shirt, but that doesn't work so well in situations where I have to go in and out of offices.
I've got a Remora tuckable I like well enough, but I've got to wear a pretty baggy shirt to avoid printing while tucked. Maybe I haven't figured out the trick yet, or maybe I'm way to "print sensitive"....but I do live in NY, so there's that. I've stopped using it since my 360 has an exposed hammer that seems to catch on the upper edge of the holster on the draw. I've tried forming the holster and it didn't make a difference. Since I can't afford to bob the hammer, I generally leave that holster at home and use my DeSantis one instead.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

JKosprey wrote:I've got a Remora tuckable I like well enough, but I've got to wear a pretty baggy shirt to avoid printing while tucked. Maybe I haven't figured out the trick yet, or maybe I'm way to "print sensitive"....
That's me with the Crossbreed.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Termite

Post by Termite »

P32 in a nylon pocket sleeve/holster does not "print" in cargo shorts.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I thought about a P-32 or Tomcat for pocket carry. Concealable enough, easier to control with my off-hand due to lighter recoil... Dammit, now I need to look for a .32 automatic.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I have a Nemesis pocket holster coming to try with a P-32; my friend lost his pocket holster (actually he washed it and it no longer 'sticks' in the pocket)