Homemade Cleaning Device

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
PawPaw

Homemade Cleaning Device

Post by PawPaw »

My lady and I are getting into wax bullet shooting pretty heavily, which means that cleaning revolvers is almost an everyday chore. We were at a club shoot recently and saw folks using Boresnakes (a registered trademark of the Hoppe's folks). My lady looked at the boresnake, marveled at the way it cleaned a gun barrel, then came home and got out some stiff yarn and her crochet hooks. In about 15 minutes, she had ginned-up this prototype.

She did this as a prototype and I found a cotter-pin to use as a weight. It's simple yarn crocheted into a bore cleaning device. We tried it with the fouling in the barrels of the revolvers and it works great. She intends to pick up some rug yarn because it's more durable. I'm stoked that my lady can make these little critters. She figures that she cam make 50 of them for about $6.00.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Netpackrat

Re: Homemade Cleaning Device

Post by Netpackrat »

Maybe use a brass cotter pin, just on general principles?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Netpackrat wrote:Maybe use a brass cotter pin, just on general principles?
I'll have to look and see if I can find some. Good idea!
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

If you look closely at a Boresnake you will see that it has a nylon cleaning brush imbedded. See if she can work out a way to work one of those in while crocheting?

Well done!
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I think the bristles in my boresnakes are bronze or some type of metal. I'll have to take a look.

Good idea and job to your gal, PawPaw!
Eppur si muove--Galileo
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Darrell wrote:I think the bristles in my boresnakes are bronze or some type of metal. I'll have to take a look.

Mine are bronze.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

MarkD wrote:
Darrell wrote:I think the bristles in my boresnakes are bronze or some type of metal. I'll have to take a look.

Mine are bronze.
Mine, too,
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Windy Wilson wrote:
MarkD wrote:

Mine are bronze.
Mine, too,

Mine are brass... and large, too. :)