Care And Feeding Of Timberland Boots

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
skb12172

Care And Feeding Of Timberland Boots

Post by skb12172 »

I know they have a lifetime warranty, but I would also like to make sure they last as long as possible without actually having to use it. I have not treated or otherwise done anything to these boots. What would you suggest I do to ensure they last and look good for as long as possible? Fire Away!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
rightisright

Re: Care And Feeding Of Timberland Boots

Post by rightisright »

I use good ol' mink oil or beeswax sealer on the leather parts of my boots. I have tried silicone and other sprays in the past. Yeah, they are easier to apply, but none lasted very long.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

rightisright wrote:I use good ol' mink oil or beeswax sealer on the leather parts of my boots. I have tried silicone and other sprays in the past. Yeah, they are easier to apply, but none lasted very long.
What idiot puts a lifetime warranty on a pair of boots? Boots last, what? Three, four, maybe five years max?
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Pecard's Leather Dressing.

Period.
evan price

Post by evan price »

All I wear is Timberland chocorua trail midlength goretex hikers. If I get two years out of a pair thats pretty good. The laces however are lucky to last three months before getting replaced with paracord.
I've got some Red Wings for real work but the Chocos are on my feet 20 hours out of 24.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Termite

Post by Termite »

Sno-Seal. Several thin coats, use a hairdryer or heatgun on low to melt in to leather.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Precision

Post by Precision »

Termite wrote:Sno-Seal. Several thin coats, use a hairdryer or heatgun on low to melt in to leather.
This is the one. I have been doing this for the entire family. I have been putting 3 coats interspersed with a light melting in with the hair dryer. It does deepen the color a bit, but that is balanced by blending out the scuff marks and really making water flee from the hide.

I have done 2 pair of boots for the elder son, I pair for the younger son, 2 pair for the daughter in law, two pairs for the wife and one pair for me. The $8 jar is still 70% full. I'd call that a very good value.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

I've liked snoseal for years. Slather it on real good and then bake 'em in the oven on real low for about 5 minutes and it will all absorb into the leather
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

PawPaw wrote:
rightisright wrote:I use good ol' mink oil or beeswax sealer on the leather parts of my boots. I have tried silicone and other sprays in the past. Yeah, they are easier to apply, but none lasted very long.
What idiot puts a lifetime warranty on a pair of boots? Boots last, what? Three, four, maybe five years max?
I've owned two pairs of Sorel boots. Each has lasted 20 years or more.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

PawPaw wrote:
Not sure about the specifics here but often such warranties only cover defects, not regular wear and tear.