form 1 or class II for a suppressor

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Precision

form 1 or class II for a suppressor

Post by Precision »

I probably don't have the money but I am really getting the itch to own a suppressor or three.

I have been designing them as an exercise in keeping my brain off my wife's cancer.

It would appear that designing and building suppressors is not such a big deal. Making them highly efficient is a much more difficult issue, but I have always liked a challenge. So this brings me to my primary question.

Purchasing a can from Gemtech, ACC... costs $200 for the stamp plus the can plus the wait time.

It looks like a Form 1 permission slip costs $150 and I get to build it myself

It looks like a class II costs $500 and I can build tons of cans and sell them if they work well.

What other hoops do I have to jump through for the class II that make it not just a bit more cash then the form 1? Why not go class II if you are gonna buy or make 3+ cans?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Old Grafton

Re: form 1 or class II for a suppressor

Post by Old Grafton »

First you'll need a Type 07 Manufacturer's license, which is getting pretty difficult to obtain I hear. (I can't verify that personally, just WOM, I've had my 07 for 20+ years.) then you need to get the Class 2 SOT Stamp(which isn't a stamp) which is minimum $500/year on top of the 3-year cost of the FFL. You have to meet all local legal and zoning, State, and Fed requirements for the business and location. It can be done, I've held the SOT for years too, but it requires serious time taking care of all the books, taxes etc. It's fun, can be lucrative if you apply yourself, but it's real work required.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Precision

Post by Precision »

That makes more sense. It did not make sense if you could get a class II without the #7.

If I hear you correctly, it costs the hassle and money of the #7, then the $500 a year for the class II. That makes the $200 tax stamp much more economical.

So starting my own suppressor business will cost me some serious cash, not just for the machining tools and testing. :lol:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

No idea how widespread it is yet, but I hear that ATF is also starting to ask about ITAR compliance when interviewing FFL 07 applicants.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote:No idea how widespread it is yet, but I hear that ATF is also starting to ask about ITAR compliance when interviewing FFL 07 applicants.

When I had the idea to start remanufacturing bullets they DEMANDED I pay the ITAR rape, despite not being able to provide me any proof that I needed to comply with ITAR to make cartridges.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The guy who let me shoot his PKM a while back... I asked him, and he said he hadn't had to pay it yet, but it depended on who you asked. To the point where different people had gotten different answers from the same agent, on different days.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Precision wrote:So starting my own suppressor business will cost me some serious cash, not just for the machining tools and testing. :lol:
The registration fees are a drop in the bucket, compared to just what you'll spend on consumables alone, let alone machine tools. I know for a fact that where I currently work, we usually spend 5 or 6 hundred bucks EVERY WEEK in endmills. Sounds like alot, until you start pricing them - the Niagara 1/8" we break the most, is probably the cheapest one we buy, and it's still 15 bucks. We break one almost daily..
Precision wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:No idea how widespread it is yet, but I hear that ATF is also starting to ask about ITAR compliance when interviewing FFL 07 applicants.
When I had the idea to start remanufacturing bullets they DEMANDED I pay the ITAR rape, despite not being able to provide me any proof that I needed to comply with ITAR to make cartridges.
It's required because Jimmy"I'm scared of rabbits" Carter signed a fun little law called Arms Export Control Act (AECA). It states besides military hardware, anything to do with firearms, including the special tools to make them(Chamber reamers for example) must have the manufacturer register with the govvernment via ITAR.

I got into a huge argument with Chris about it, And even posted links to the relevant legislation.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt