Need flashlight - high lumen, short OAL

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Greg

Re: Need flashlight - high lumen, short OAL

Post by Greg »

Oh, dear this really is going to cost me. Now I have to stop myself from buying one of these:

http://goinggear.com/flashlights/headla ... dlamp.html

http://goinggear.com/flashlights/headla ... 14500.html

First one is larger, heavier, higher output and runs off an 18650. Second one is smaller, lighter, less output/runtime because it runs off a AA (eneloops, ahoy!). Leaning toward the second one, as I'd mainly use it for close-up work.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

You've got it bad. :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:You've got it bad. :lol:
If I had a soldering set up I'd make myself about half a dozen lights or so. What I have right now is sufficient, but I like to be prepared.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Hm. If you looked at the combined price of the soldering station and the lights it would produce vs. the cost of those lights purchased commercially, you could probably justify the price of the soldering station. [/instigation mode :D ]
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

My FourSevens Quark Pro QP2A arrived today. Mfr info here.

I had it delivered to the office, and being the eager type, I took it into the janitor closet to try it out. Obviously, I can't comment on throw. :D

I like it. The modes are easy to cycle through. Loosened bezel gives you 6 modes going through moolight/low/med/high/SOS/beacon. Tighten the bezel and you get max/strobe. I don't see ever needing the SOS or strobe, but I could imagine, if I try hard, a use for the beacon. Say you're coordinating your location via phone with someone in a very large space.

It seems solidly built. It has an integrated clip that doesn't seem to interfere with anything yet.

It came with a lanyard that is about 20" long. A clip on the end attaches to the split ring. It has two cord locks on it so you could cinch the far end to your wrist. I'm not sure what you do with two of them.

It also came with a decent holster. The holster has a belt loop and a plastic D ring. I looped the lanyard to the D ring for now, and it comes off quickly. The holster is minimalist, but I like that. One thing I did like better about the Mini Maglite holsters was that the belt loop was velcro, so you could put it on a belt without taking the belt off. I may try one of those with this light to see if it fits.

It also came with a rubber strap with a loop at each end that goes over the ends of the light. You put your hand through that. Don't know what that's called. It seems to work well as it's intended to, but I don't know in what situation I'd actually use it. Also came with spare O rings.

I'm slowly working on my gear to get just one good item to keep for a long time rather than multiple cheaper ones. All in all, this looks like the last carry flashlight I'll ever need (if it lasts).

Thanks for the heads up, Greg.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Glad you like it. Pretty sure there are other lights that are similarly good, that just happens to be a product line that won me over some time back. I have the 'Tactical' UI version, with 1x and 2xx body tubes. So I can have what would currently be called QTA or QT2A. (When I got it, it wound up replacing my one and only Surefire - a modified L1 - as an edc and nightstand light.)

That make a 'deep carry' pocket clip for it now, that I have been strongly considering picking up.

Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:Hm. If you looked at the combined price of the soldering station and the lights it would produce vs. the cost of those lights purchased commercially, you could probably justify the price of the soldering station. [/instigation mode :D ]
Oh yes, already did that. It would be to combine in exactly the way *I* want, exactly the types of (now) generic components that make the 'high performance budget light' (aka the 'no name Chinese light that is actually painfully bright) thing possible.

I've ever gotten permission and budget authorization, but I don't have the space- either work space, or storage. So it'll have to wait until after a move.

Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Free America beckons. ;)
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Soldering station??? When I need to solder something, I get the iron and whatever else I need out of the drawer that it lives in, do what I need to do, and then I put it away when finished. You are overthinking this. We're talking shoebox sized storage requirements... If you are worried about harming the finish of whatever horizontal surface you are working on, put down a piece of cardboard.

That said, still get the fuck out of NJ.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

Netpackrat wrote:Soldering station??? When I need to solder something, I get the iron and whatever else I need out of the drawer that it lives in, do what I need to do, and then I put it away when finished. You are overthinking this. We're talking shoebox sized storage requirements... If you are worried about harming the finish of whatever horizontal surface you are working on, put down a piece of cardboard.

That said, still get the fuck out of NJ.
That one's pretty minor. The 'soldering station' I've been looking at is just a power unit with an adjustment knob on the front, connected to a soldering iron. But bear in mind, when I picked up a bunch of magazines (only 8) for my Sub2k, it took me a little while to find a good place to keep them. Because they take up so much room. :lol:

Working on it. Already spent a week to scout out a good landing spot. (I hinted where in another thread or two.)