Need flashlight - high lumen, short OAL

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
workinwifdakids
Active Shooter

Need flashlight - high lumen, short OAL

Postby workinwifdakids » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:39 am

I need a handheld flashlight. Must be:
• 5" or under in total length
• Impact Resistant
• In the $50 - $75 range
• Retina scorching

Thanks in advance.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Re: Need flashlight - high lumen, short OAL

Postby Greg » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:11 pm

How flexible are you on the OAL? Another inch or two and you have a LOT of options.

For example, at ~6" oal you can find something like the Xintd C8 (v5 is latest) which will get you over 1000 emitter (700+ otf) lumens for $30 in a very well made light. (I have a v4).

Within ~5 oal you can choose from any number of P60 format lights. They offer similar max output to the C8 style lights, and have smaller heads/are more pocketable, but also have worse throw and inferior thermal characteristics (can't run as bright as long as the C8's without overheating).

As a P60 light I have a Solar force L2P as well as a couple of dropins to choose from, one xp-g2 and one xm-l2. (My P60 xm-l2 combo is good for something like 700 otf lumens, for a little while before it needs to cool off and the parts - host and drop in - together are well within your budget.)

Of course these all assume you're willing to go to lithium rechargeables. Really if you want a compact light with really high output you need to be using lithium batteries of some sort.

If you want to stick to eneloops or the like, there are any number of single and double aa lights that will get you a couple hundred (I think between 2 and 3 hundred is your practical max right now) lumens. Look at the Quark line from Four Sevens, for example.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

Weetabix
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Weetabix » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:15 pm

I find all of these flashlight threads seriously fascinating. The excellent side benefit is that they satisfy just enough of my geeky interest that I don't go researching and buying a thousand flashlights to clog up my life.

But eventually a thread is going to mention one that I just have to have, and I'll fall down the rabbit hole. :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:20 pm

Damn you, Greg. ;)

Alright. What can you get in a two AA size light that has good thermal characteristics; a low, medium, and high mode (don't care about strobe either way), decent battery life, and relatively pocketable? For the most part, I don't need retina searing capability.

I could also think about those lights that have three AAA's in a holder. They seem to have a nice diameter for holding onto and be in the 4-5" range, so relatively compact for carrying in a backpack.

skb12172

Postby skb12172 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:46 pm

I am also a flashlight geek. What is the advantage of 3AAA vs. 2AA or even the recent 1AA thread?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:53 pm

skb12172 wrote:I am also a flashlight geek. What is the advantage of 3AAA vs. 2AA or even the recent 1AA thread?

I hate those 3aaa lights. In terms of stored energy, 3aaa roughly equal 1aa yet cost quite a bit more and take up more space. Unless you *need* to use aaa's, don't.

The advantages of a 3aaa light vs a 1 as, is that the 3aaa - due to the difference in voltage compared with the single aa - can be made slightly brighter (at a corresponding penalty in run time) and let the maker cheap out and save a couple of cents on circuitry. That's it.

The disadvantages, well aside from that holding a swollen knockwurst feeling, are that you're using aaa batteries at all, your light is going to have worse regulation/be unregulated (that cheapening out on circuitry I mentioned) and the battery holder. It is a major disadvantage all on its own- it's a fiddly part that will be prone to breakage (it's going to be made *cheap*) and it introduce serious resistance in the flow of current from your battery, robbing you of brightness and runtime both (it's going to be made cheap).

So yeah, the only real advantage the 3 aaa light will have is that, with *absolutely* fresh batteries, for a few minutes it will run brighter than a single aa light can. For a few minutes only, then the brightness will sag (unregulated, almost certainly).

You can get the same advantage of greater brightness, without the unregulated brightness sag, with a single aa light that supports 14500's (lithium rechargeables the same size as a aa), when you power it with a 14500.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:08 pm

Weetabix wrote:Damn you, Greg. ;)

Alright. What can you get in a two AA size light that has good thermal characteristics; a low, medium, and high mode (don't care about strobe either way), decent battery life, and relatively pocketable? For the most part, I don't need retina searing capability.

I could also think about those lights that have three AAA's in a holder. They seem to have a nice diameter for holding onto and be in the 4-5" range, so relatively compact for carrying in a backpack.

Anything with good regulation circuitry. Likely to run you somewhere around $50 to $60, give or take some. That will get you a reputable brand with good quality (not Surefire quality) and a max output probably around 250 lumens, give or take with current technology. I'm partial to the Quark line from Four Sevens, and to a lesser extent Fenix. There are a number of other Chinese brands in roughly the same ballpark but it can be hard to keep track of them all, and some of them fluctuate substantially in quality over time.

Would you prefer a 'tube' light where it's the same (or almost) diameter its whole length, or would you be willing to accept a big 'head' in order to get a more capable reflector?

Precision
Active Shooter

Postby Precision » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:21 pm

workinwifdakids wrote:• Retina scorching

Thanks in advance.

Define retina scorching.

permanent blindness upon direct viewing

temporary debilitating blindness

temporary MUST avert my eyes or face blind spots

Oh shit that's bright , this might hurt my eyes

Then at what distance for each of those categories.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:55 am

Precision wrote:
workinwifdakids wrote:• Retina scorching

Thanks in advance.

Define retina scorching.

permanent blindness upon direct viewing

temporary debilitating blindness

temporary MUST avert my eyes or face blind spots

Oh shit that's bright , this might hurt my eyes

Then at what distance for each of those categories.

Uh oh. No Vinh editions. ;)

There are people who do to flashlights what overclockers do to computers, more or less. Except much more varied and potentially extreme, because with flashlights all the hardware can be modded, or replaced with fabricated parts. Some people have gotten famous for it, and kind of do it as a jobby.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:17 am

Greg wrote:Would you prefer a 'tube' light where it's the same (or almost) diameter its whole length, or would you be willing to accept a big 'head' in order to get a more capable reflector?

I think tube with a clip so it won't dump out of a pocket in a backpack. Seems like the bigger headed ones are top heavy and dump out. You know me - I'm more about convenience for this sort of thing than absolute peak performance.

The quark with two AA's looked interesting. There was one with about 5 light levels from very low to very bright. The little olight I carry now has moon, medium (40 lumens?) and high (80, I think). It's pretty good for most of what I do, so 250 or so would probably do everything I needed.

You may have just cost me $65. :P

rightisright
Active Shooter

Postby rightisright » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:42 am

I'm w. Greg on the AAA lights. I've been trying to consolidate my everyday FLs to AA or D.

That said, I couldn't pass up a Costco $15 deal for these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/381005167807?lpid=82 They now reside as backups in vehicles. And I'm pissed I didn't buy a few more sets but hopeful they will come back on-sale.

Flashlights are like higher education; diversity rules! ;)

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:05 pm

rightisright wrote:...That said, I couldn't pass up a Costco $15 deal for these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/381005167807?lpid=82 They now reside as backups in vehicles....

Yep, those are of the sort I'll buy for my kids and wife to keep in their vehicles, bedroom, backpacks etc. Good stocking stuffers at Xmas time.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

Precision
Active Shooter

Postby Precision » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:01 pm

This is what you need.

http://www.fenixoutfitters.com/fenix-e41-led-flashlight/

Eye scorching wonderness. :lol:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

workinwifdakids
Active Shooter

Postby workinwifdakids » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:36 pm

Precision wrote:This is what you need.

YESH!

I'm going in, boys. Cover me.

EDIT: Oh, and AA, too? I think I may kiss you.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:38 pm

Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:Would you prefer a 'tube' light where it's the same (or almost) diameter its whole length, or would you be willing to accept a big 'head' in order to get a more capable reflector?

I think tube with a clip so it won't dump out of a pocket in a backpack. Seems like the bigger headed ones are top heavy and dump out. You know me - I'm more about convenience for this sort of thing than absolute peak performance.

The quark with two AA's looked interesting. There was one with about 5 light levels from very low to very bright. The little olight I carry now has moon, medium (40 lumens?) and high (80, I think). It's pretty good for most of what I do, so 250 or so would probably do everything I needed.

You may have just cost me $65. :P

I have a similar one, from the 'Tactical' line. I have an extra battery tube so I can set it up as either a single or double aa light. Mine is slightly older tech, max output is just over 100 lumens on 1 aa, and just over 200 lumens on 2 aa. Real, out the front lumens. I used it set up as 2 aa as my nightstand light for a long time.

I don't feel too bad. :)

Precision
Active Shooter

Postby Precision » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:04 am

workinwifdakids wrote:

YESH!

I might allow the Euro cheek air kiss as being the least icky version of said kiss.

workinwifdakids
Active Shooter

Postby workinwifdakids » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:14 am

:lol:
I've standardized on AA, but for the lumens I want I'd consigned myself to using some other battery. Seriously pleased right now.
--Weetabix

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:28 am

I was also looking at high-output small flashlights a while back, and came across this VERY PRICY little number (I have to wonder hot hot it gets):

But is it worth $200????

From the makers of the world's most refined lasers, comes the ultimate in handheld flashlights. The Flashtorch is a compact, portable searchlight that is capable of producing an incredible 4100 lumens of intense white light. Use this power to guide your way home, light a fire, or even fry an egg!

I would LOVE to hear from anyone who has one, used one, or knows someone who has one and is willing to talk about it!!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad

Termite
Probably Unemployed

Postby Termite » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:53 pm

workinwifdakids wrote:

YESH!

This one is very similiar. http://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-ea41-xml2.html
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:11 pm

308Mike wrote:I was also looking at high-output small flashlights a while back, and came across this VERY PRICY little number (I have to wonder hot hot it gets):

But is it worth $200????

From the makers of the world's most refined lasers, comes the ultimate in handheld flashlights. The Flashtorch is a compact, portable searchlight that is capable of producing an incredible 4100 lumens of intense white light. Use this power to guide your way home, light a fire, or even fry an egg!

I would LOVE to hear from anyone who has one, used one, or knows someone who has one and is willing to talk about it!!!

It's a 100W incandescent. Using the higher capacity battery pack (note the custom battery pack this requires), you get a runtime of 20 minutes on high. Not that you'd run it continuously for that long, or you're liable to set something on fire. Getting rid of that much heat is problematic.

Hotwire (very high power incandescent) builds like this are nothing new. It was *the* path to extremely bright flashlights before power LED's started to get really good. It's a very niche item, yes which implies expensive. It's hard on your batteries, hard on the bulbs (your bulb life is going to be very short, and the bulbs are going to be very expensive), but when it's running it's bright.

You can get similar output in a cheaper LED light nowadays, but they use something like 4 XM-L2 LED's and multiple lithium batteries. Without quite as much waste heat, or short life of very expensive bulbs.

If you really like the color rendition of incandescents compared to LED's it might be worth it use this, or a different hotwire build, but they are less practical and efficient than LED's.

rightisright
Active Shooter

Postby rightisright » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:30 pm

Termite wrote:This one is very similiar. http://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-ea41-xml2.html

I have an older version: the EA4W. It's downfall is it uses a single button to access all modes. It's not intuitive at all. If it were the only light I carried, there would be no problem. But, I have lights all over the place and pick up the one that's most handy when needed.

Looks like they heard the complaints and gave this model 2 buttons.

Termite
Probably Unemployed

Postby Termite » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:06 am

Greg wrote: It's hard on your batteries....

^This^
Power Consumption: 16.8V@10A

I hope that battery pack can handle that much current safely, Esp. that much heat, without going into thermal run-away........which can be interesting to watch. :geek:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:24 am

You need to realize that any such high-intensity flashlight contained in such a small package would (by necessity), be used only in short bursts.

Which leads me to their lasers, which are probably of the same design and not designed for a long-term output (more than several seconds at a time - which is how the consumer laser/flashlight market works - other than that including the LEO market which needs bright flashlights for moderate lengths of time).
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:30 pm

Termite wrote:
Greg wrote: It's hard on your batteries....

^This^
Power Consumption: 16.8V@10A

I hope that battery pack can handle that much current safely, Esp. that much heat, without going into thermal run-away........which can be interesting to watch. :geek:

Looks like the pack is built up from the 'standard' lithium lego cell, the 18650. I've seen high discharge 18650's that are rated for 20 or 30 amps (yes people buy them specifically for that capability), but the ones I have for my flashlights wouldn't deliver more than 5 or so amps. Oh, and the thermal runaway, in a flashlight tube that's like a pipe bomb. :shock:

308Mike wrote:You need to realize that any such high-intensity flashlight contained in such a small package would (by necessity), be used only in short bursts.

Oh certainly. But with LED lights that have proper thermal design, you could get quite a bit longer bursts and much more runtime overall, with no worries about flash-bulbing your incredibly expensive 100W bulb.

Which leads me to their lasers, which are probably of the same design and not designed for a long-term output (more than several seconds at a time - which is how the consumer laser/flashlight market works - other than that including the LEO market which needs bright flashlights for moderate lengths of time).

Chinese flashlights can be very hit or miss, but Fenix is one company that's made an effort to make consistent quality lights (and be able to charge a price premium accordingly).

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-ld60-led-flashlight/

Is a sample of a 'beer can' light. That format is pretty popular for a light with multiple LED's and multiple batteries that doesn't need a big reflector 'head' for throw. For a more generic Chinese budget light version, look up 'Skyray King' or 'SRK' there's a whole little industry that's grown up around versions of that basic format.

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-tk75-x ... 00-lumens/

Has a thick handle to hold the batteries, and a big reflector head for throw. There are also various generic Chinese budget lights like this, it's not really my thing but I've heard good things about one called the 'BTU Shocker' (yes really, that's the name).

These offer max output in the same type of ballpark as the 100w torch - perception of brightness is logarithmic so the perceived brightness difference will be much less than it appears on paper - with enormously better runtimes, multiple brightness levels available for different types of task and longer runtimes, etc. (And some versions of things like the SRK will actually be brighter than the incandescent.) And at most they should be drawing ~3amps from the batteries.

Termite
Probably Unemployed

Postby Termite » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:02 am

Workin',

Battery Junction has JetBeam PA40 LED Flashlights, with CREE XM-L LED, 468 Lumens, and use 4 x AAs, for $51.75 with free shipping.

I have one, I really like it. The flattened handle slides into a back pocket. It's probably all the flashlight you need for 95% of your flashlight uses. It's a little longer than you requested(7"), but otherwise meets your specs.

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:13 am

Thinking about a better quality keychain sized light(s) for my daughters. Need to start looking more actively. Would like something better than what's available in the checkout line at the typical autoparts store.

A single AAA like the Fenix E05 would be the classic keychain like but since they carry keywads in huge purses maybe step up to something like a Fenix E12.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:36 am

blackeagle603 wrote:Thinking about a better quality keychain sized light(s) for my daughters. Need to start looking more actively. Would like something better than what's available in the checkout line at the typical autoparts store.

A single AAA like the Fenix E05 would be the classic keychain like but since they carry keywads in huge purses maybe step up to something like a Fenix E12.

I've not used the Fenix, but I bought this Olight a while back, and I love it. If I lost it, I'd buy another. You need to replace the cheesy little triangle with a split ring and the chain with 0.5 size s-biner.

Precision
Active Shooter

Postby Precision » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:43 pm

Weetabix wrote:
blackeagle603 wrote:Thinking about a better quality keychain sized light(s) for my daughters. Need to start looking more actively. Would like something better than what's available in the checkout line at the typical autoparts store.

I've not used the Fenix, but I bought this Olight a while back, and I love it. If I lost it, I'd buy another. You need to replace the cheesy little triangle with a split ring and the chain with 0.5 size s-biner.

No experience with the Olight, but the Fenix 12 is my edc. I really like it. 4+ months on a single battery. works every time so far and I have not been a drop free owner. Probably at about 9 months now and on battery 2.

Sounds like either is a good way to fly.

workinwifdakids
Active Shooter

Postby workinwifdakids » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:08 pm

Yeah, I wrote up my initial impressions here on another thread re: the Fenix E12. I just bought another (for my wife). She likes it very much.
--Weetabix

Yogimus
Active Shooter

Postby Yogimus » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:03 pm

LED Lenser

http://www.amazon.com/LED-Lenser-HP8407 ... led+lenser

It is a 40 dollar light (ignore the you save 1 billion dollars bullshit)
Used it as my service light for 6 years before the batteries exploded in it. Tough little cookie, bright as Jesus's taint on the sabbath.

BDK
Trigger Junkie

Postby BDK » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:26 pm

I motion you add that review to Amazon

JohnOC
Administrator

Postby JohnOC » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:46 am

I know its not necessarily what you had in mind, especially for people with huge masses of keys problems.. But on the super minimal keychain light front, I've been carrying the same photon microlight on my keyring for near 3 years now, and its still plenty bright. Sometimes dead simple can be really good.
The government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have. – Thomas Jefferson

workinwifdakids
Active Shooter

Postby workinwifdakids » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:27 am

JohnOC wrote:

I know its not necessarily what you had in mind, especially for people with huge masses of keys problems.. But on the super minimal keychain light front, I've been carrying the same photon microlight on my keyring for near 3 years now, and its still plenty bright. Sometimes dead simple can be really good.

Haven't seen that one before, but I'll look into it. My fav is the Inova Microlight.
--Weetabix

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:36 pm

New product:

http://www.foursevens.com/products/QTABurstKit

It's a single AA format light with nearly 800 lumens max output (one minute burst mode, then it ramps down to avoid combustion ;)). The input voltage it requires is 3-9v, so it needs to run off of a lithium battery. Lithium rechargeable the same size as a AA is commonly referred to as a 14500 (which is actually a description of the size).

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:15 am

JohnOC wrote:I know its not necessarily what you had in mind, especially for people with huge masses of keys problems.. But on the super minimal keychain light front, I've been carrying the same photon microlight on my keyring for near 3 years now, and its still plenty bright. Sometimes dead simple can be really good.

Yeah, want a bit more than that for parking lot/personal security. All 3 girls are college students with night classes.

Termite
Probably Unemployed

Postby Termite » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:12 am

blackeagle603 wrote:
JohnOC wrote:I know its not necessarily what you had in mind, especially for people with huge masses of keys problems.. But on the super minimal keychain light front, I've been carrying the same photon microlight on my keyring for near 3 years now, and its still plenty bright. Sometimes dead simple can be really good.

Yeah, want a bit more than that for parking lot/personal security. All 3 girls are college students with night classes.

B.E 603,

My EDC pocket light is a TerraLUX Keychain 1-AAA light. 35 lumens, dirt simple single setting(twist to turn on), comes in red, gunmetal grey, or black, $15. range is 75-150 ft. I find it quite sufficent. Link

If the girls need more light than that, then there's the 80 lumen Olight i3S LED Flashlight for $24.95, or the 132 lumen Titanium Innovations Illuminati CA1-AL LED Flashlight for $29.95.

For a purse light, the TerraLUX Lightstar 80 AAA lights are quite good, I use one at work; two for $25 w/free shipping

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:30 pm

blackeagle603 wrote:

Would they be willing to carry something as large as a Surefire 6P?

If they are, there are *lots* of options. There's a Chinese (yes I know, but they actually make a good product) company called Solarforce that's taken cloning the 6P and made it something of a minor industry, and their clones are good. My current night stand light is one.

The L2 is the basic model, type II anodized. There are also L2T and L2N variations to choose from. L2P (what I have) is similar to the L2 but type III HA for a few extra bucks.

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.c ... s=7&id=354

I personally have combined it with a pocket clip/lanyard attachment point:

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.c ... s=17&id=56

and a holder/pouch (for when I carry it with my in my backpack)

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.c ... =21&id=220

Fine choices for drop ins (or as Surefire liked to call them back in the day, 'light engines')

http://intl-outdoor.com/p60-dropin-modu ... p-740.html
http://intl-outdoor.com/p60-dropin-modu ... p-798.html

Available with different emitters, tints, number of modes, etc etc In general XM-L will have better output, XP-G will have better concentration/throw (in the same platform). There are better dropins, but to do better would cost a lot more- these are good and good value. (I have an older multimode XM-L one from them that I like.)

My current nightstand light has a generic single mode XP-G2 dropin at about 300 lumens that I picked up cheap elsewhere (not currently available). Works very nicely.

A few of these:

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php ... uct_id=137
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php ... duct_id=55 (if you like protected cells, I have 2)

And one of these to charge them:

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php ... uct_id=231
(lots of other good choices, but I happen to have this one. It's gotten good reviews and I'm very happy with mine.)

Or even this:

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/1000 ... er-version

Which is a well-regarded budget charger that can also be used as a USB battery bank. (Keep one batt in the light, the other in the charger in your purse/backpack... can use the second batt as a spare for the light or as power supply for other gadgets via the battery bank functionality of the charger.)

MTN Electronics is a US company. Side business of a guy working his way through school, IIRC who happens to be a flashlight enthusiast. He's a good vendor. The other links I supplied go direct to Chinese sources- you can get that same stuff from US vendors, but you'd pay more for the convenience.

Termite
Probably Unemployed

Postby Termite » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:16 am

My $.02 worth: Surefires are hideously overpriced.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:30 am

Termite wrote:My $.02 worth: Surefires are hideously overpriced.

Of course. But a well-machined Surefire clone, already sized to take an 18650 instead of 2 123a's only (real 6P's needed to be bored out slightly) with type III HA coating... for only $17- yes I'll buy that.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:44 am

This thread may cost me money yet. I wrote about some very bright lights will multiple XM-L2 emitters, designed either for flood or throw. For whatever reason I've never really cared for multi-emitter lights. BUT... there's the MT-G2. Here's a review (with links to other reviews) of a relatively new MT-G2 light.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/34587

Runs on 3 18650 rechargeables, 3000 lumen max output with decent throw plus good color rendition. And it looks like it's $120-130 or so.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:37 am

Oh, dear this really is going to cost me. Now I have to stop myself from buying one of these:

http://goinggear.com/flashlights/headla ... dlamp.html

http://goinggear.com/flashlights/headla ... 14500.html

First one is larger, heavier, higher output and runs off an 18650. Second one is smaller, lighter, less output/runtime because it runs off a AA (eneloops, ahoy!). Leaning toward the second one, as I'd mainly use it for close-up work.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:15 pm

You've got it bad. :lol:

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:57 am

Weetabix wrote:You've got it bad. :lol:

If I had a soldering set up I'd make myself about half a dozen lights or so. What I have right now is sufficient, but I like to be prepared.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:54 pm

Hm. If you looked at the combined price of the soldering station and the lights it would produce vs. the cost of those lights purchased commercially, you could probably justify the price of the soldering station. [/instigation mode :D ]

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:47 am

My FourSevens Quark Pro QP2A arrived today. Mfr info here.

I had it delivered to the office, and being the eager type, I took it into the janitor closet to try it out. Obviously, I can't comment on throw. :D

I like it. The modes are easy to cycle through. Loosened bezel gives you 6 modes going through moolight/low/med/high/SOS/beacon. Tighten the bezel and you get max/strobe. I don't see ever needing the SOS or strobe, but I could imagine, if I try hard, a use for the beacon. Say you're coordinating your location via phone with someone in a very large space.

It seems solidly built. It has an integrated clip that doesn't seem to interfere with anything yet.

It came with a lanyard that is about 20" long. A clip on the end attaches to the split ring. It has two cord locks on it so you could cinch the far end to your wrist. I'm not sure what you do with two of them.

It also came with a decent holster. The holster has a belt loop and a plastic D ring. I looped the lanyard to the D ring for now, and it comes off quickly. The holster is minimalist, but I like that. One thing I did like better about the Mini Maglite holsters was that the belt loop was velcro, so you could put it on a belt without taking the belt off. I may try one of those with this light to see if it fits.

It also came with a rubber strap with a loop at each end that goes over the ends of the light. You put your hand through that. Don't know what that's called. It seems to work well as it's intended to, but I don't know in what situation I'd actually use it. Also came with spare O rings.

I'm slowly working on my gear to get just one good item to keep for a long time rather than multiple cheaper ones. All in all, this looks like the last carry flashlight I'll ever need (if it lasts).

Thanks for the heads up, Greg.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:37 pm

Glad you like it. Pretty sure there are other lights that are similarly good, that just happens to be a product line that won me over some time back. I have the 'Tactical' UI version, with 1x and 2xx body tubes. So I can have what would currently be called QTA or QT2A. (When I got it, it wound up replacing my one and only Surefire - a modified L1 - as an edc and nightstand light.)

That make a 'deep carry' pocket clip for it now, that I have been strongly considering picking up.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:47 pm

Weetabix wrote:Hm. If you looked at the combined price of the soldering station and the lights it would produce vs. the cost of those lights purchased commercially, you could probably justify the price of the soldering station. [/instigation mode :D ]

Oh yes, already did that. It would be to combine in exactly the way *I* want, exactly the types of (now) generic components that make the 'high performance budget light' (aka the 'no name Chinese light that is actually painfully bright) thing possible.

I've ever gotten permission and budget authorization, but I don't have the space- either work space, or storage. So it'll have to wait until after a move.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:53 pm

Free America beckons. ;)

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:53 am

Soldering station??? When I need to solder something, I get the iron and whatever else I need out of the drawer that it lives in, do what I need to do, and then I put it away when finished. You are overthinking this. We're talking shoebox sized storage requirements... If you are worried about harming the finish of whatever horizontal surface you are working on, put down a piece of cardboard.

That said, still get the fuck out of NJ.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:04 pm

Netpackrat wrote:Soldering station??? When I need to solder something, I get the iron and whatever else I need out of the drawer that it lives in, do what I need to do, and then I put it away when finished. You are overthinking this. We're talking shoebox sized storage requirements... If you are worried about harming the finish of whatever horizontal surface you are working on, put down a piece of cardboard.

That said, still get the fuck out of NJ.

That one's pretty minor. The 'soldering station' I've been looking at is just a power unit with an adjustment knob on the front, connected to a soldering iron. But bear in mind, when I picked up a bunch of magazines (only 8) for my Sub2k, it took me a little while to find a good place to keep them. Because they take up so much room. :lol:

Working on it. Already spent a week to scout out a good landing spot. (I hinted where in another thread or two.)

Return to “Gear Talk and Tech”