bullhorn good idea?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
gandalf23

bullhorn good idea?

Post by gandalf23 »

Talking with some fellow students on campus about the upcoming ebola apocalypse, one of them, ex-navy I think, mentioned that he had bought a bullhorn for cases of civil unrest.

Why? I asked.

Well, he said that if say a crowd of people are coming down the street and he thinks they are hostile, and he shoot a warning shot to go away, they can reasonably see that as him shooting at them and fire back. So he figured he would first shout at them to go away, but how far will a shout carry? And what if there is other noises going on? So he got a bullhorn to yell at them with from a distance. Then if they still come forward, well as far as he's concerned they are hostile and he can engage them. That what he was trained to do in the navy (I think, I didn't know most of the guys and I may be mixing him up with someone else) so that's what he'll do now, too.

Dunno. Never been in a situation like this myself, I can see his point especially in the pre-assless chaps stage, but what do y'all think? Good idea? Bad? Depends on the situation?
skb12172

Re: bullhorn good idea?

Post by skb12172 »

Definitely depends. If he can afford it, though, why not?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

"Every man there go back inside, or we will blow a new crater in this little moon."
Greg

Post by Greg »

Why do I think of Charlie Brown cartoons?
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

I think I'd combine the responses this way (skip to 3:25).

Seriously though, you don't fire warning shots.
If you think they're hostile, shoot one. Either they will be after that, or they won't be; either way, you've thinned the odds down a bit, and made your point.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
randy

Post by randy »

The best use of a bull horn I could think of in that situation is to have it set up remotely as a decoy. When the crowd turns to start advancing of the location on the bull horn, you've confirmed hostile intent and now can now engage them from the flank.

A "warning shot" in the context of a mob is a round into the loudest mouth in the group pour encourager les autres.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Sounds like SOP from win I was still playing in the sand. When any TCN you didn't know started advancing toward you in any manner (doesn't matter if it's a possible threat or just an unknown) you start the 5 S (not to be confused with 3S) sequence.

Shine
Shine a flashlight or green laser to draw attention

Shout
Shout loud clear verbal commands to draw attention and establish authority (also when you establish if they are a threat.)

Show
Show your weapon (basically go to the high ready position)

Shove
If you are within close proximity shove them away from you to provide manuver room

Shoot
If the threat has not complied and continues to advance... Well "Move your safety selector from safe to semi and watch your lane."

I don't see that this would be the best of ideas for civilian application what with the combo of probable legal, civil, and in this instance medical repercussions from blowing someone away in the middle of the street. YMMV
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The Wizard wrote: I don't see that this would be the best of ideas for civilian application what with the combo of probable legal, civil, and in this instance medical repercussions from blowing someone away in the middle of the street. YMMV
It seems to me if an ebola epidemic is in full swing, the threat of unwanted contact would constitute a reasonable fear for death or severe bodily injury. Particularly if general civil orders have been issued restricting movement, and/or the shooter is standing on his own property at the time.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Concealed carry for a bullhorn?

If things were so bad I was thinking about walking around with a bullhorn slung over my shoulder, I'd be mighty tempted to trade the bullhorn for a rifle.

Holding a rifle in the air might have a stronger deterrent effect.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Greg

Post by Greg »

D5CAV wrote:Concealed carry for a bullhorn?

If things were so bad I was thinking about walking around with a bullhorn slung over my shoulder, I'd be mighty tempted to trade the bullhorn for a rifle.

Holding a rifle in the air might have a stronger deterrent effect.
I think the idea is to carry both, and that one helps make the other more effective.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr