Ford F150

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Dub_James

Ford F150

Post by Dub_James »

Looking at replacing the truck. The Ranger no longer suits our needs. I really could do with 4x4 (got stuck in snow this year) and a couple extra seats, not to mention it's over 164k on the clock. Plus it's stick, so she can't drive it. Won't be doing much hauling, but need the 4/5 seats due to an impending job role change, and the flexibility of her being able to use it if the Jetta's out of commission.

Test drove the F150 Lariat model, that thing is sweet, at least for someone coming from a Ranger :) Plus, finally somewhere to store an accessible sidearm up front!

I saw a little information here in the Search, but looking for thoughts, comments, advice, etc... All inputs appreciated.

PS - Most interested in the EcoBoost version. Most of my mileage will be local, with some Interstate.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Precision

Re: Ford F150

Post by Precision »

Ford.com says that a 4x4 lariat with eco boost starts at $42k MSRP with the jumper seat rear. $44.5 with the full sized rear.
In the standard cab 4x2, the mileage is listed as 17/23. Most likley 15/21 with crew cab and 4x4

Ramtruck.com says a 4x4 Laramie with ecoDIESEL starts at $45k MSRP with jumer seat rear. $47,5K with the full sized rear.
a car review lists their crewcab 4x4 (jumper seat rear) as getting 19/27 in the real world.

typically going to 4x4 and a bigger cab costs about 1-1.5 mpg.

I am biased. I have really liked my last two Dodge Rams. I LOVED my diesel Ram and I really don't much care for my BIL's F-150.

For my money, I would pay the slight upcharge for the 3.0L Diesel and count the mileage savings over time as fair recompense, not to mention better resale value if you decide to sell.

When the 1500 diesel first came out my dad almost bought a 4x2 one. He ended up buying a 5.9 diesel mega cab 4x4 used for a $13-15k less and he really likes it. Really likes it.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

You can't go wrong with an F150, given normal levels of maintenance. I'm on my fourth?? fifth?? (yellow, red, blue, gray, silver... yeah, fifth) and I don't buy them new. Let some other jazzbo drive the new off them, and pick them up on the clean used market at a huge discount. I've been driving F150s since the 1970s.

If I need another truck tomorrow, I'll start hitting the lots looking for a 3-4 year old F150 with just short of 100K miles on it. I'll drive it for ten years, and start over. My current pickup is an '01 extended cab F150 with 192K miles on it. I put $1100 in the engine last year and it's good for another 100K. That 5.4 Triton engine is a beast, and it does everything i ask it to do.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Have you priced regular gas vs. Diesel?

Have you seen the markup of the 1/2 ton Ram Diesel over MSRP due to it currently being "hot" in the car market?

Personally, I'd look long and hard at a 2-4 year old F-150 with low mileage. They're everywhere, so finding what you want should be pretty easy.

And this is coming from a guy who hates ford and loves Diesels. :oops:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BDK

Post by BDK »

I have an F150 w an EcoBoost. Gets all of about 17, if you really baby it and do 60.

I would have a Ram 1500 w a diesel, if the seats were comfortable for me/it had more headroom.

There were incentives in the one I was looking at - and w the air suspension etc it was a heck of a truck - quieter than my father's E-class, and much better fit and finish than my Ford.
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

I'm on my second, Baby Brother has one too. It was the only American truck on my list when I went shopping this summer, and half the cost of a Nissan or Toyota. Only reason my next truck will likely not be an F150 is because I'll likely need to step up to an F350.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

An F150 makes a really nice car -- and you can haul a lot of stuff with it.

If you really need a truck though, well...

The cost delta for diesel has never swamped the fuel economy for me. Then there's the driving experience.

I heartily agree with PawPaw's approach. F150 is a great value if you can let someone else eat the first couple or 3 years. Never pay retail.

Bought both my '98 Navigator and '02 Excursion off the dealer used car lot as 2 yr old lease turn-ins. Waited and watched months for the right Excursion to show up, caught it while it was still in back and not been cleaned up yet so I could see how the PO had treated it. I don't usually buy that new or pay that much but both those vehicles were for my Wife during prime kid hauling years and I was out of town on travel a lot at the time (wanted her to be completely at peace with the vehicle).
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
evan price

Post by evan price »

Try to find a first generation Toyota Tundra with the 4.7 v8 4x4 access cab. Our the double can if you want more room. Anything 2003 to 2006. Mileage of 16-20. Great ride, high resale, run forever. Get one with lower miles and ride it to doomsday.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
gandalf23

Post by gandalf23 »

We bought a 2011 F150 super crew (? four full sized doors) w/eco boost in July. 33k miles. Driving normally for me, ie not babying it, I've gotten an average of 18 mpg since I owned it. That's with towing the trencher to and from the farm a couple of times, and lots of city driving. I've put about 4k miles on it since I bought it.

Mine has a short bed, it's 5.5 feet, which is a little bit tiny, especially with a toolbox. Both my previous F150s (1976 and 1994) had 8 ft beds. But it parks easily. I may get a side mount tool box this week and see if that works better. Also with the tool box I can't see the trailer at all when I back up, which makes it trickier for me. Sadly Ford changed the bed dimensions so my head ache racks and rails and camper shell from the old trucks don't fit :( .

The previous owner had it set up for towing, and it still is, so I think I can fiddle with the computer and get another 1 or 2 mpg out of it. I love it. It carries and tows what my brother in law's diesel f250 will, but rides sooo much smoother. There is a ton of room, the seats fold up in the back and the floor is level, unlike the Tundra, although I added a Tuffy lockbox under the backseat. It has a ton of interior room. The kiddo's car seat has plenty of room and the passenger is not smooshed up because of it. I took the center console off between the front seats and stuck a $50 lockbox in it then put it back on, so now I've got semi-secure pistol storage in case I forget and am carrying when I stop by the post office or school or something.

I love it.
18mpg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

My F150 is awesome. I couldn't kill it if I tried. They have also worked well over the years for my dad and brother. I actually work for a company right now who supplies accessories for the entire Ford truck line. My take from seeing literally every truck they make? Go with it. If you think you might need more towing capacity, then by all means, go with the F250, but get the Diesel engine. That Powerstroke Diesel will give you about the same MPG as the F150. Plus, the F250 is made right here in good 'ol Louisville. :D
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.