Ford F150

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Dub_James

Re: Ford F150

Post by Dub_James »

Denis wrote:James,

you clearly need a technical.
A comfy Technical. Wonder if you can program a launch button for the rockets on the LCD display? :twisted:
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

evan price wrote:As much as I bash on Fords that 300 Six was probably the best motor they ever made.
Pretty much. It could have used a better flowing head, but then, what engine couldn't?

The factory carbs sucked. EFI made them alot better. Frankly, a mild port job, some slightly bigger valves, and either EFI, or an IR carb setup behind an OD transmission(a buddy had one in his 3/4 ton, with deep gears - it would SCREAM at highway speed) and you'd have pretty much the ideal 1/2 ton engine.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
evan price

Post by evan price »

HTRN wrote:
evan price wrote:As much as I bash on Fords that 300 Six was probably the best motor they ever made.
Pretty much. It could have used a better flowing head, but then, what engine couldn't?

The factory carbs sucked. EFI made them alot better. Frankly, a mild port job, some slightly bigger valves, and either EFI, or an IR carb setup behind an OD transmission(a buddy had one in his 3/4 ton, with deep gears - it would SCREAM at highway speed) and you'd have pretty much the ideal 1/2 ton engine.
The unequal length intake runners made it so that the outside cylinders ran lean and the inside ones ran rich. By the time I got the mixtures right it would have stumbling problems. Rebuild kits work. The best thing was an Offenhauser intake and a 500 CFM Carter 4bbl carb.
But the really best thing was multi port EFI. That did the trick.

The Offy intake and a 390 Holley really woke up my old Slant Six in the Dodge, too. I almost miss that old Mopar too. Just the mechanical cacophony of a slant six is unmistakable.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

evan price wrote:The unequal length intake runners made it so that the outside cylinders ran lean and the inside ones ran rich.
Hence my sugggestion for an independent runner setup with triple Webers. The closest you can come off the shelf to that kind of setup is, AFAIK, the dual Weber setup from Clifford performance, which unfortunately, means dealing with Clifford Performance. Interestingly, Clifford offers an IR manifold for side draft Webers for the 250/292 Chevy.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

HTRN wrote:I will say that Ford can't build a Diesel to save their lives. I don't think too much of their modular motors either. The rest of the truck is pretty good.
Ram is a case of "great engine, crappy suspension and autos".
GM probably has the best gasser V8 right now, in the LS series, along with the best autos(seriously, the 4L80E is basically an electronic Turbo 400 with an overdrive, and the Allison is, well, an Allison. ;) ) The rest of the truck has "meh" build quality.

The only other thing I would say is, if you're looking at a light truck, look at Tacomas. Be warned though - they have a ridiculously high resale, and they recently had serious problems with frame rot, including a recall, at least in the Northeast.
So...the ideal Franken-truck would be a Ford frame/body, a Dodge-Cummins powerplant, and a GM-Allison transmission, all put together with Toyota build quality?
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Just don't use a GM electrical system. Crapola!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Langenator wrote:
HTRN wrote:I will say that Ford can't build a Diesel to save their lives. I don't think too much of their modular motors either. The rest of the truck is pretty good.
Ram is a case of "great engine, crappy suspension and autos".
GM probably has the best gasser V8 right now, in the LS series, along with the best autos(seriously, the 4L80E is basically an electronic Turbo 400 with an overdrive, and the Allison is, well, an Allison. ;) ) The rest of the truck has "meh" build quality.

The only other thing I would say is, if you're looking at a light truck, look at Tacomas. Be warned though - they have a ridiculously high resale, and they recently had serious problems with frame rot, including a recall, at least in the Northeast.
So...the ideal Franken-truck would be a Ford frame/body, a Dodge-Cummins powerplant, and a GM-Allison transmission, all put together with Toyota build quality?
Buy the man a beer who pulls that off.
Nissan and Toyota are supposedly getting a Cummins soon but it will be a purpose built motor, not a truck motor pourer se.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

About 1978 or 79... put headers, a Clifford Research manifold and Holley 600 on a 300 in a '69 my buddy had. Put a Mallory dual point, 9" rear and a top loader 4 speed in it too. Lot of fun that. Exhaust note had an interesting howl. The 9" rear was overkill but we got it for cheap from a friends wrecking yard. Came with the gears we wanted. Even with fresh brakes had less than $200 in the rearend.

Went back around later to put in a cam and polished the ports up. Fun times.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story