Are national events making you reconsider your CCW choice?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Netpackrat

Re: Are national events making you reconsider your CCW choic

Post by Netpackrat »

D5CAV wrote:Per NPR's comment, I do have an old box of 8mm Winchester Silvertip with about 4 or 5 rounds missing that I have in the case with the Mauser. That is in case of "cop stops". In the unlikely event popo decides he needs to look inside my trunk, I can say "Why yes, officer, that is for deer hunting. I must have forgotten about that old thing after last deer season."
Cute. I just completed a 600 mile road trip with the Saiga 12 standing proud and upright in the Jeep's vertical rack, 8 round Izzy mag of 00 buck locked in the magwell with the bolt carrier locked back. While carrying a Glock 20 in a black stingray holster by Evyl Robot. P3AT in my pocket. :mrgreen:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

I carry a 1911 and two spares most days, or 25-30 rounds of .38SPL if I need a bit more concealment. I also keep a CZ-82 in my truck with a couple spares. Never felt the need for much more. If I'm in the truck, I don't have much call for bullets, the battering ram/flee capability handles business plenty well.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

Precision wrote:
JKosprey wrote:I haven't changed anything. I usually carry a j frame and a reload or two. No place to stash a truck gun in the Suby without it being visible (unless I bought a @UB 2000). Like Greg, I'm hoping to get to a better place soon. I consider most of NY to be a "non-permissive environment" on general principle. At some point I plan to get a compact glock of some flavor. If I like it, that will become a firepower upgrade.
email me.

I have a product (two actually) that I have designed that allow me to carry a rifle in my Prius all the time with no one the wiser and is not so slow to access.

I will send you a beta if you will give me good feedback. By good, I mean, tell me the good, the bad and the WTF. Assuming of course NY allows rifles in cars by law.

And for the record, concealing a G-17 is NOT that much more difficult than concealing the G-26.

If some of the rest of you are interested, I can offer the same deal. I need feedback to improve / see that it works etc, before I go live on a mediocre product.
NY unfortunately has a whole bunch of stupid laws about firearms in vehicles, how they must be transported, and what constitutes "loaded" ....and like our knife laws, nobody is 100% clear on that- I've heard different police officers say different things. Long and short of it is that a handgun is the only firearm we can have loaded in a vehicle, and the safe bet is to consider a loaded magazine to be a loaded rifle if it's in reach of the gun. I typically put rifles in cases/gun socks on the back seat or floor and keep the ammo underneath the trunk mat (often that's where all the handguns go too, there's a pretty nifty "hidden" storage spot there.) It's really a pain in the ass, but the likelihood seems higher for me to run into a cop and get harassed about a "loaded" firearm in the car than the likelihood I'll need a longarm in a real hurry. Now that it's hunting season I will usually throw one of the shotguns in back, in case I get an opportunity though.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Netpackrat wrote:I just completed a 600 mile road trip with the Saiga 12 standing proud and upright in the Jeep's vertical rack, 8 round Izzy mag of 00 buck locked in the magwell with the bolt carrier locked back. While carrying a Glock 20 in a black stingray holster by Evyl Robot. P3AT in my pocket. :mrgreen:
Thanks for rubbing it in that you live in one of the few states of the union that still follows at least a few parts of the US Constitution.

I don't need to tell you not to try that in the lower 48 because it's unlikely you'll be able to evade HRH's red-coated agents in HRH's dominion that separates Alaska from the lower 48. You might get away with that in Idaho or Montana, but you'll never get through Canada.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Precision wrote:I have a product (two actually) that I have designed that allow me to carry a rifle in my Prius all the time with no one the wiser and is not so slow to access.

I will send you a beta if you will give me good feedback. By good, I mean, tell me the good, the bad and the WTF. Assuming of course NY allows rifles in cars by law.
What is it designed to hold? I've been pondering this in the back of my head for awhile. If it fits something I own or want to buy, I'd beta test it for you.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Oh, and to answer the OP:

They haven't changed my on-body carry choice, but they have gotten me thinking about a truck gun and they've gotten my thoughts in high gear about equipping all the family that's legal to carry.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Precision

Post by Precision »

for those who expressed interest, emails have been sent with pics.

I left out one pic on the second email, the one with extended stock. It will be obvious what I am talking about. If you want, I can send that over as well.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/