water tanks, metal, potable?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Aesop

Re: water tanks, metal, potable?

Post by Aesop »

Congratulations on the purchase of your new POL tank.

There are enough known carcinogens in petroleum products to preclude using it for any potable water storage whatsoever except life or death desperation with no other options, unless it's to hold greywater coming or going, or water to dump on a fire.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Gotta agree with Aesop on this one. I picked up a used 250 gallon tote that used to hold aircraft de-ice fluid. It's destined to hold firefighting and maybe bathing water out at the cabin, whenever I get around to hauling it out there.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Yup give your self a break dont use it for potable water, lots of other options
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Erik

Post by Erik »

I've seen some people use multiple PET-bottles or smaller containers (1-5 gallons) instead of one big tank. The reasoning is that they are easier to store, move and handle, it's easy to rotate the watersupply by using parts of it regularly, and if something happens to it it's unlikely that the whole supply is affected.
But it would take a lot of bottles/containers to get a big total volume.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
gandalf23

Post by gandalf23 »

Yeah, crap.

Really wish I'd thought to clean off the name plate before I left their place. :(

I've emailed the sellers and asked them to look at the nameplates and see if any of them are for water, maybe they'll trade with me. They had one or two 500 gallon tanks that were a different shape, maybe that's what they were.

Well, I guess it can go live at my brother in law's farm as a fuel tank.

Or my wife wants me to cut it in half and make giant planters for the front yard. As long as we don't grow food in there that's a possibility, and it gets me out of the "I bought an essentially useless thing that may kill us all if we use it like I had intended" dog house :)
BDK

Post by BDK »

As an FYI, if it really matters, making a sanitizing solution of bleach is more temperamental in regard to both concentration and tenperature than quanta nary ammonia. Bleach also corrodes stainless.
evan price

Post by evan price »

This almost sounds like somebody tore down an old fire truck, like a brushfire unit maybe. Fuel tanks, retarder/foam tanks, big water tank.

St the least you now have a great bulk fuel tank for kerosene or diesel, depending on your preferences.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

gandalf23 wrote:Yeah, crap.

Really wish I'd thought to clean off the name plate before I left their place. :(

I've emailed the sellers and asked them to look at the nameplates and see if any of them are for water, maybe they'll trade with me. They had one or two 500 gallon tanks that were a different shape, maybe that's what they were.

Or my wife wants me to cut it in half and make giant planters for the front yard. As long as we don't grow food in there that's a possibility, and it gets me out of the "I bought an essentially useless thing that may kill us all if we use it like I had intended" dog house :)
Don't roll over so quickly.
Put that sucker in your pickup, and you could do the Gumball Rally from NY to CA and back without stopping to refuel. 8-)

Pressurize it with a nitrogen bottle, add a flammenwerfer monitor, and you could be the new owner of the largest flamethrower on your block.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Precision

Post by Precision »

Aesop wrote:
gandalf23 wrote:Yeah, crap.

Don't roll over so quickly.
Put that sucker in your pickup, and you could do the Gumball Rally from NY to CA and back without stopping to refuel. 8-)

Pressurize it with a nitrogen bottle, add a flammenwerfer monitor, and you could be the new owner of the largest flamethrower on your block.
Ebola plus never ending flamethrower may not be such a bad thing.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
gandalf23

Post by gandalf23 »

I think we have a winner! I have always wanted a flame thrower!

I guess I need a fuel pump and a nozzle of some sort? Quick! To teh internets!