looking for a generator

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Aesop

Re: looking for a generator

Post by Aesop »

Good plan, but help me out:
What goes in the ice chest in that equation, and where does it come from?

But yes, if A/C is needed, cooling but one room, as small and well-insulated and sealed as possible, is the solution.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

I wired in the nessary back up circuits , back up switch over circuits are really nessary , and my calc came to arround 3500 watts , so I have a 4kw primary and a 2 kw backup , and my planned running time is a max of 6 months ( winter) and I store fuel on the property for a month . So 4 kw sounds right as you go bigger they will use more fuel and more maintence etc, So keep it reasonable .
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
evan price

Post by evan price »

FWIW, those propane powered trailer units were originally used by telephone/CATV installers for use in underground trunks. We used to have vans with similar units built in with Ford industrial engines running from the vehicle fuel tank, they used the generator's radiator to heat air for blowing through the ventilator.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

Aesop wrote:Good plan, but help me out:
What goes in the ice chest in that equation, and where does it come from?

But yes, if A/C is needed, cooling but one room, as small and well-insulated and sealed as possible, is the solution.
Well, if it's not the zombie apocalypse the ice comes from the freezer you're running with your generator. The question seems to be: should we run a whole-house A/C unit with a generator or not? My answer is, if you can run a freezer and a couple of desk fans, you can make a single room A/C. That's good until your gennie is out of juice.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix