Propane mini refrigerator?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Dinochrome One

Re: Propane mini refrigerator?

Post by Dinochrome One »

There are a number of propane and kerosene-powered refrigerators that are used by Amish farmers; some of them are pretty small. I'll have to ask one of the locals about the price.

Long ago, the folks had a Servel brand propane refrigerator that worked fine for decades back when the house was well-ventilated(loosely-built with lots of air-leaks). When we rebuilt the house, the unit was suddenly too dangerous to operate indoors, (Unvented burner=Carbon monoxide). I recall that it had a small pilot-light and a mechanical thermostat to modulate the burner, also that it was very economical on gas. The propane company paid us to destroy it.
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Buy a cheap RV or travel trailer. Remove the fridge. Sell the RV for about the same price.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Termite

Post by Termite »

I have a Danby 7.8 cu ft. It only uses batteries for the interior light. Propane use is about 6-7 gals/month in winter, and 10-12 gals per month in summer.
http://www.thesolar.biz/danbyl_lp_gas_refrigerators.htm

BTW, it's for sale if someone wants it, and I'll deliver within 125 miles for the price of lunch.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
evan price

Post by evan price »

The one in my rv needs 12v to operate the gas inlet valve solenoid and igniter. Runs for weeks on two 20# bottles. Automatically switches from 120vac to propane when power is lost.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

I'd figured a propane refrigerator would be cheaper and easier than some solar/battery combo to a fridge. Easier, yes. Cheaper... not so much. I'd really like the ability to run a small refrigerator and a small table-top icemaker into perpetuity (or at least swap from a gas generator to quiet propane after the gas runs out), but it's not easy to come up with an idea that fits my liking.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix