Let's Talk Rechargeable Batteries

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
rightisright

Let's Talk Rechargeable Batteries

Post by rightisright »

To tie in w. a few recent solar themed threads, I'd like to [strike]discuss[/strike] ask some questions about rechargeable batteries.

I currently own only a few AA NiMH and a basic charger. I would like to substantially add to that collection. A few questions I have:

Are the eneloops worth twice as much as Amazon or Tenergy NiMH cells? Or are you just paying for the name?

I have several LED lanterns that take D batteries. Are you using C and/or D cell spacers or buying the $$ full sized cells?

Most of my weapon lights and a few of my flashlights are CR123A powered. I remember a few years ago, there were some splodey problems w. Li rechargeables. Has that been rectified?
JohnOC

Re: Let's Talk Rechargeable Batteries

Post by JohnOC »

Lithium Ion Polymer batteries need different charging technique than other rechargables.
Make sure your charge controller can handle lithium batteries. If your charger thinks it is charging a Ni-Cd battery, it will probably blow up a Li-po battery and start a nasty fire, complete with toxic smoke, that water will only make worse.

Never charge them unattended.
Never charge them in a small enclosed space.
Never charge them near anything flammable.
Don't get them wet.

All that said, there are plenty of people using Li-po batteries safely for r/c hobby purposes, they have outstanding energy density per weight, and very high current draw capability. A typical 3-cell, 2200mAh hobby pack can provide 55A@11.1V without getting even slightly warm and up to 70A@11.1V for short duty cycles without damage. Lower current of course means longer life and even less stress on the battery technology.
The government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have. – Thomas Jefferson
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I don't own any Eneloops, but I've had great luck with the Amazon Basics NiMH's.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

The eneloops are worth the money. They consistently live up to all their performance claims (practically unheard of in the battery world) in all areas- capacity, low self discharge, and number of cycles (durability/longetivity). My oldest eneloops are just under 7 years old and still working fine, though I haven't put all that many cycles on them.

The others may or may not be worth the money, I haven't seen enough info to be sure.

Li rechargeables work just fine if you buy good quality batteries, have a good quality charger and use them properly. Any flashlight or rc- hobbyist site should have lots of good info proper li battery handling, as well as cautionary tales.

I have 16 18650 li rechargeables. 8 Samsungs from a laptop battery pull I use in a USB battery bank, 4 Sanyos and 2 Panasonics I use in my flashlights, and 2 XX-fire Chinese mystery batts I *never* use and will recycle the next time I find a properly sized round 'tuit. I have a Nitecore i2 charger that I never leave unattended, that charges inside a metal container. I also have a freebie mystery Chinese charger that I *never* use and will recycle along with the mystery batts when the proper round 'tuit shows up. Should tell you something.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

Great question. I've standardized on AA, so I have D-cell spacers for my lanterns. They work very well once you get the hang of them. I did buy enough standard non-rechargable D batteries to run my lanterns for a few weeks probably, and the batteries advertise a 10-year shelf life. So once those are gone, I still have the AAs and spacers.

Eneloops are awesome.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Got a particular charger you like?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

Not aside from the Goal Zero solar I picked up. My wife and I bought a couple of chargers w/ 4 batteries each for the Wii console. I can't remember, but I think it was Energizer. Since it's just for a console, I don't care much if it's top of the line.

Which I guess begs the statement, I need to find an AC charger for NiMH rechargable AAs.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Greg

Post by Greg »

Maha and La Crosse are the big names in smart NiMH chargers.

I don't own either but from what I've researched, and read from people who have them- products from each company have strong points. FYI, one La Crosse model had a bit of a bad rep for occasionally failing by overheating and melting down but I am told that has been fixed.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
randy

Post by randy »

I know MaHa is a big name in amateur radio circles. FIL has one and I haven't heard any complaints, but I don't know how much he actually uses it.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".